Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hatteras
  • 1 Post By hvy747

Thread: United and Miles

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

United and Miles

I read that starting March of 2015, United is no longer giving miles based on flight mileage. Now it is 5 miles per dollar you spend on airfare. So if you spend $400, you get 2000 miles. It will no longer be based on the miles to and from your destination. I swear, pretty soon they'll put a surcharge for breathing air on the plane.

Aruba since 1979
    http://mileageplusupdates.com
    their site gives an explanation

QUOTE=gaby;258249]I read that starting March of 2015, United is no longer giving miles based on flight mileage. Now it is 5 miles per dollar you spend on airfare. So if you spend $400, you get 2000 miles. It will no longer be based on the miles to and from your destination. I swear, pretty soon they'll put a surcharge for breathing air on the plane.[/QUOTE]

Most of the miles I earn on American Airlines is based on credit card spending. I get 1 mile for every dollar I charge to my credit card. Jet Blue has a nice milage program as well. I flew for free last year to Puerto Rico using Jt Blue true milage and $5.00 each way.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    the problem with united is they never have any flights available for free, at least not to any place i want to go. so the best i can do is upgrade.united is not nor will it ever be a good airline. unfortunately they don't care, they don't have to. they have like 3/4 of the direct flights out of Newark to all over the world. so I'm kind of stuck with them. the airport is 15 minutes from my house. so i just book when i feel the amount is something i can live with. if i can use my miles which i've been able to for aruba to upgrade to first, great. if not, whatever. nothing i can do about it.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We too deal with United a lot. I just used up the rest of my United miles, booking a trip (Alaska cruise), flying into Vancouver and then home from San Francisco. We started earning miles through Capital One a few years back, and plan on only using them from now on. As you said Gaby, United rarely has flights available to where you want to go, without blowing all of your miles on first class. I had to book first class on the Vancouver flight.

my mom used to swear by united….I on the other hand have had nothing but bad luck traveling….late, late delays, missed connections, cancelled flights…I avoid united like the plague!!!!
    gaby, since you are close to newark why not try delta ??? I use them when I can not get a usair flight. I really like their service and am thinking about jumping ship and using them exclusively now that us air and aa have merged (I hate aa…too expensive)
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

but delta doesn't have direct flights, that's our problem. I can't stand the thought of changing planes. I thought only united does direct out of newark. if delta does, then i would consider changing.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    but delta doesn't have direct flights, that's our problem. I can't stand the thought of changing planes. I thought only united does direct out of newark. if delta does, then i would consider changing.
    United is the only airline flying direct to Aruba from Newark. I too, live 15 minutes away, and I don't want any stops or layovers, so United is the one. Last month I dropped of my dw and dd at 6:45 for their 9am flight, 13 and half hours later they were walking into their room at the Radisson, flying United. Sometimes you have to connect to get to where you to be, like when I fly into Medford Oregon. Too bad there can't be a second airline from Newark flying down to give United a run.