Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: United nonstop AUA-IAD flight change

United nonstop AUA-IAD flight change

We were booked on United nonstop AUA-IAD (Washington Dulles) on a Sunday in early December. I booked the flight back in March and didn't give it any thought until I got an email today stating a change to our flight. They changed us to the Saturday flight. I called, turns out they have cancelled some of their Sunday non-stops to and from Dulles, except during peak travel times. If you are booked on a Sunday flight on United to or from Dulles, check your itinerary.

It seemed kind of odd to me that they just put us on a flight a day earlier, but that's the industry I guess. Our only options were either 2 stops, a 9 hour layover, or landing at a different airport. Since we usually park at the airport, that would have been a huge inconvenience. We ended up cancelling the flight all together and luckily we were able to rebook on another airline with one stop for about the same price.-
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    at least you got another flight

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    at least you got another flight
    So true, I did appreciate the amount of time we had to reschedule and they didn't leave us scrambling, but I would hesitate to book that itinerary again.

Wow, I think it's awful that airlines do that. As you said though at least you had plenty of notice. So I'm glad you got another flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We were booked on United nonstop AUA-IAD (Washington Dulles) on a Sunday in early December. I booked the flight back in March and didn't give it any thought until I got an email today stating a change to our flight.
    You should ALWAYS be looking at your flights on a regular basis after booking them, especially when the flight is booked this far in advance. There are many changes (dates, times, type of aircraft that may alter your seat selection, etc.) that the airline can and will make and sometimes they don't always notify you (we have had all of the above happen to us over the years.) Both my husband and I fly an average of 50,000 miles each per year and have seen everything. So never just book your flight and think "all is good". I always check my flights at least once per week and as the flight gets closer a few times per week. The sooner you see a "change" that is not in your favor, the sooner you can fix it without any issues.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Good advice, Amy. I will make this a routine check from now on. I actually check pretty regularly during the weeks leading up to our flight. I read on another forum that this is not the first time United has cancelled this Sunday nonstop itinerary. The good thing about being close to a major city is that we do have 3 major airports with lots of options when things to change. We had an experience with Delta once where they changed our connection time in Atlanta to 40 minutes which I wasn't comfortable with And I caught that one on my own. That one worked out in our favor because I needed to change the flight anyway, so I was able to cancel the flight for a full refund.

We booked our June trip over Christmas. My father is flying from West Palm Beach to Atlanta and the 3 of us are flying together from here to Aruba. I booked him on the 5:30 am flight out of PBI to insure he made his connection for the 8:30 Atlanta flight. Don't you know a few months later, I was checking our flights, as I do daily, and my father's flight from PBI to Atlanta was cancelled and he was put on to their 7 am flight. Because he would not have made his connection they also changed his Aruba flight to the 10:25 am flight. HA. He was flying north to fly south and wouldn't be on the same flight as us? Fortunately I phoned Delta and got the right person on the phone. After explaining the entire situation she cheerfully changed my husband's and my flight to the 10:25 am flight with no fees for the change.

Checking flights daily is a pain in the neck, but it is the best way of finding these types of changes. Delta is famous for changing the schedule as well as the type of plane and reassigning you to random seats. Of course they never put you into the seats that you would've chosen.

Ugh..another flight change for our flight to Aruba this year. Now American changed our departure so we won't be arriving till 4:30. That just seems so late to me, almost a wasted day. I am sure we will make the best of it. And at least our room should be ready. I usually try to make sure we land by 2pm so we can make the most of our first day. I guess losing 2 hours isn't that bad.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 07-06-2015 at 07:57 AM.

That stinks! In reality it's only 2 hours but I would be bummed as well. Next trip you'll need to book another day to make up for it!
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 07-06-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    That stinks! In reality it's only 2 hours but I would be bummed as well. Next trip you'll need to book an we're day to make up for it!
    I just checked all of our options and it looks like it would be a pretty big hassle and expense to change in exchange for gaiming jus 2 hours. I think the lesson to be learned here for me is not to book airlines so far in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast