Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Upgrade...!

15 years ago I became an independent travel agent as a side business working from home. I had a picture ID as a travel agent with the agencies ID number. I would go up to the gate agent, show my id and ask politely if there were any business class seats available on the flight and if possible could I receive a complimentary upgrade. They always said yes.

Those were the days!!!

Now a days, I just pay for it if the price is reasonable. Delta has coach seats from NY to Aruba for May for around $600 for coach. The business class was $1,100 so I wasn't going to fly business. However, the price went down to $800 and I thought it was reasonable to pay $200 extra for business class especially since it will be for my birthday..

Quote Originally Posted by ~amy~ View Post
    we usually get our free upgrades for delta medallion members confirmed anywhere from 1-3 days prior to our flights. On occasion though, we will get them at the gate at the last minute. Flying to aruba last sept. We were upgraded one day before our flight (notified via email) - flying back from aruba, we were near our gate at the aruba airport and heard our names called - went to the gate agent and they gave us new boarding passes with our upgrades about 15 minutes before boarding.

that's sweet !!!!!!!!!!

playa linda, aruba beach club, wacky wahoos, driftwood,french steakhouse, any happy hour
    several years ago usair offered $100 upgrade to 1st class as boarding started. surprisingly I was the only taker.

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    With all the perks airlines are passing out, especially tied to airline credit cards, it's nearly impossible to get a "free" upgrade, even for the frequent fliers who have earned their status from actual flying.
    Actually, I have gotten upgrades the last 4-5 years flying to Aruba as well as coming home.....I do have status though, and this past November Dh and I got upgraded to Charlotte from Pittsburgh only but on the way home we got both flights upgraded....sweet !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Actually, I have gotten upgrades the last 4-5 years flying to Aruba as well as coming home.....I do have status though, and this past November Dh and I got upgraded to Charlotte from Pittsburgh only but on the way home we got both flights upgraded....sweet !!!
    Congrats!! I know with the amount of time my husband spends in airports, earning those higher status awards isn't a piece of cake, but it sure is sweet when you get an unexpected upgrade such as first class when traveling on vacation. It's especially nice with how little room you have between some of the coach cabin seats. We took my son and three of his best friends to Aruba a few years ago, and we were all seated in the exit row due to my husband's status. It wasn't first class, but the boys sure were impressed.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12