Aruba Beach

Thread: US customs in Aruba

Dom

US customs in Aruba

Last year when we were returning home through Customs in Aruba, one of the Customs agents told me that Aruba was getting a new director to handle the US Customs department. He also said that the new director was much stricter than the existing director and that in 2009 it would take longer to get through customs because there would be more random searches. Has anyone noticed any difference in Customs this year? I would hate not to be able to bring back home a couple of Cuban cigars.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Last year when we were returning home through Customs in Aruba, one of the Customs agents told me that Aruba was getting a new director to handle the US Customs department. He also said that the new director was much stricter than the existing director and that in 2009 it would take longer to get through customs because there would be more random searches. Has anyone noticed any difference in Customs this year? I would hate not to be able to bring back home a couple of Cuban cigars.

all i know is it took me 3 hours but i didnt see alot of searches when i was there first of may....

Aruba since 1979
    trying to sneak stuff thru is a risky business and folks should be warned of the risks of taking contraband.
    those customs agents mean business and getting caught is not a pleasant experience.

my observations on the long lines and delays dealing with customs is the aruba customs... that is where the crack down and the searches have really taken hold over the past 8 months or so.
    aruba customs is located right outside the baggage claim area (arrivals) at the airport.

andrea

There was also a discussion about US Customs, not too long ago at
    Customs questions

Rather than break the law if you don't agree with it, write your lawmakers and perhaps it will be changed soon. I have heard Aruba customs is now more vigilant also about bringing booze on island. I don't smoke but do drink like a fish however I just cant be bothered schleping it around so I'm good to go either way. I'm close friends with a us customs agent and they have many tricks up there sleeves for finding contraband including cuban cigars, not sure if its worth the risk.