Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: US Customs questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    US Customs questions

    Hello im currently in Aruba and needing some questions anwsered. We will be leaving on saturday. I was wondering if you only clear customs in aruba and not back in the states. How does all of that work i have not found a clear statement. Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    You will only go through U.S. Customs & US Immigration at the airport in Aruba. When your flight arrives in the U.S. you will be deplaning just as you would from any domestic flight.

    http://www.airportaruba.com/images/Maps/Ground%20Floor%20MCA%20New.JPG


    Procedure:
    • Check in
    • Enter the main building and go through Aruban immigration
    • Go through Security/xray checkpoint
    • Duty free shopping
    • Retrieve you luggage
    • Take your luggage and go through US Immigration
    • Place your luggage back onto the conveyor belt to be placed on the plane
    • Go through second security/xray checkpoint (see map)
    Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it.
    This is their job. They know what to look for.
    What should we do.
    What you are most comfortable doing.
    If she is stopped and pulled out of line wearing the jewelery, you will at the mimimum, be asked to provide receipts showing the value and purchase date.
    How would they know that you hadn't purchased it in the U.S. or a previous overseas trip?

    It looks like the duty rate charged is 3% http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

    Personal duty free exemption is $800 pp so $1600 for the two of you.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-01-2009 at 10:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fattypatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    moomba, stellaris casino, baby beach,
    Posts
    490
    You only clear customs in aruba. If u wear the jewerely and don't report it then there's very little chance they'll know. But remember you'll be violating federal law under perjury. I believe you're allowed to bring $x without paying tariffs. You should ask the jewelry store.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,699
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman40 View Post
    Hello im currently in Aruba and needing some questions anwsered. We will be leaving on saturday. I was wondering if you only clear customs in aruba and not back in the states. How does all of that work i have not found a clear statement. Also, declaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.
    Relative got stopped with the same situation. They somehow knew it was NEW as it was so shinny....Declare it all and IMOP don't try to skip thru with it.

    Be prepared to have an aggravating long time at the airport. Its not a fun 2-3 hrs for more reasons than 1( leaving). You pass thru international customs and US customs all in one time. Picking up and re-picking up luggage is hard.
    Oh well, its what ya gotta pay for having a perfect vacation.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    49

    Jewelry

    Bought my girlfriends engagement ring in '06 in Aruba, she wore it home on her finger with no problems with customs. Who's to know?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    49

    Jewelry

    If it's in your carry-on in new jewelry boxes, now that's a different situation.

  7. #7
    Senior Member fattypatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    moomba, stellaris casino, baby beach,
    Posts
    490
    I presume jewelry in aruba is legit? I hear of a lot people that buy jewelry but I just can't get myself to do it....

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Any beach, party, bar or Casino!!!!!!
    Posts
    1,093
    [eclaring jewelry. I have bought my wife several jewelry items totaling more than 8000.00. If she wears it how do they know you bought it. What should we do. I see everybody carring jewelry bags they have bought. This is our first time to be in aruba. If anyone can help please do so it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

    I mail my receipts home. That way if they look they cant find them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member cindyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Posts
    5,699
    Quote Originally Posted by fattypatty View Post
    I presume jewelry in aruba is legit? I hear of a lot people that buy jewelry but I just can't get myself to do it....

    yes, its real and legitimate.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Be prepared to have an aggravating long time at the airport. Its not a fun 2-3 hrs for more reasons than 1( leaving). You pass thru international customs and US customs all in one time. Picking up and re-picking up luggage is hard.
    Oh well, its what ya gotta pay for having a perfect vacation.
    The only "customs" on flights to the US is US customs ,you only go through customs when you enter a country. When leaving you go through Aruban passport control, Aruban airport security, US Customs and Aruban airport security again (in case you removed anything from your checked bag on your way through customs)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO