Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US Customs questions

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Chadd, thanks for clarifying...I know whatever it is it is a long time !!! CINDYO

We brought jewlery ,and we make the store send the receipt at home this way you don't have any receipt with you .They can't find any paper on you . You probley said they clean it and polish it for you .
    Look the people on the cruise come out with alot jewlery .If is only couple hundred you keep you receipt .
    Have a good vacation ginette

Do you really want to chance getting caught with undeclared jewelery? The reason Aruba has so many jewelery stores is because they do a brisk business and US customs job is to ferret out the undeclared merchandise, which they are quite good at. Actually the burden of proof is on you to prove you didn't buy it on the current trip by providing receipts from the purchase or registering it at a customs office before you leave the states. One of the quirks in the law is that you can bring any amount of unset stones into the us without paying duty and then have them set in the states. A few years ago I purchased a diamond neckless for my wife and declared it as it was well over the limit and was just waved thru so it really is arbitrary but $8000 might get their attention. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox82 View Post
    Do you really want to chance getting caught with undeclared jewelery? Good luck.
    Ditto...don't screw around...you don't need your passport flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Ditto...don't screw around...you don't need your passport flagged.
    Every year, I take our jewelry receipts from Aruba and put them in an envelope. I take them with me every year. If we get questioned (which we never have), I'll produce receipts to demonstrate that jewelry had been purchased over a decade.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

You may also register your times with US Customs so they will be on record.
    Tip: Register Items Before You Leave The United States
    http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    Every year, I take our jewelry receipts from Aruba and put them in an envelope. I take them with me every year. If we get questioned (which we never have), I'll produce receipts to demonstrate that jewelry had been purchased over a decade.

Banned
    An assortment of high end new jewelry is one thing, but I've never heard of anyone declaring a ring or watch purchased anywhere in the Carribean and I don't think Aruban Customs is that concerned as long as you spend a boatload of money on their island.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
    An assortment of high end new jewelry is one thing, but I've never heard of anyone declaring a ring or watch purchased anywhere in the Carribean and I don't think Aruban Customs is that concerned as long as you spend a boatload of money on their island.
    #1 It's not Aruban customs, it's US customs
    #2 It is a felony to lie on a customs declaration form
    #3 I've declared everything I've purchased outside the country, though we usually keep our purchases under the $1600 max

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    #1 It's not Aruban customs, it's US customs
    #2 It is a felony to lie on a customs declaration form
    #3 I've declared everything I've purchased outside the country, though we usually keep our purchases under the $1600 max
    I guess that makes myself and many others that travel to the island chronic liars. Interestingly enough, last time on departure through Aruban Customs I didn't take my laptop out of it's bag(I never do going through Boston Customs) and the guy had me get out of line and he ran the bomb detector cloth over it, but it came out clean and off I went. I know what he was thinking-another snotty american.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post

Helmut, Declared both. Watch $6000, many rings $ 2000+
    You just heard it from me.
    We've been 12 yrs in a row, I don't intend to be flagged...
    I agree with Chadd.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast