Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: US Customs when leaving Aruba

Not 100% but doubt you can bring fruit either....

Dom
    I found out another strange thing after I cleared customs. Although you can buy liquer and cigarettes in the duty free stores before you get to customs, apparently you can also buy duty free liquer and cigarettes in stores located near the departure gates after you clear customs. This seems strange to me because you can buy more stuff after having already declared what you are bringing back into the US.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I found out another strange thing after I cleared customs. Although you can buy liquer and cigarettes in the duty free stores before you get to customs, apparently you can also buy duty free liquer and cigarettes in stores located near the departure gates after you clear customs. This seems strange to me because you can buy more stuff after having already declared what you are bringing back into the US.
    If you buy Duty-Free before the departure area and they do not enter the info from your boarding pass, then you can buy more in the Departure Area. If they do, you can puchase but will have to pay the duty.
    Say you get two cartons of cigarettes and they enter the info, you can buy more at Departure, at an extra $10.00 duty each. Still cheaper and more than the two-carton limit.
    Walt
    "Vacation is what you make of it, take from it and what you leave behind."

Aruba since 1979
    speaking of us customs when leaving aruba......
    when we came home in august, we and some folks in front of and behind us were searched by us customs.
    we had not had that happen since pre sept 11 2001.
    it was pretty unusual that every one of our bags was looked at, not especially thoroughly but looked at our stuff nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    speaking of us customs when leaving aruba......
    when we came home in august, we and some folks in front of and behind us were searched by us customs.
    we had not had that happen since pre sept 11 2001.
    it was pretty unusual that every one of our bags was looked at, not especially thoroughly but looked at our stuff nonetheless.
    well to that end....I have promised myself that I would not buy anything for the house, I have enough of an Aruba collection, boarding on obsession, so I am going home with nada....well, I will bring my nephew and his girlfriend something for dog, cat, cat, ferrett and house sitting.
    So I say to the customs agents....go for it....!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Dom
    Quote Originally Posted by dogwriter View Post
    If you buy Duty-Free before the departure area and they do not enter the info from your boarding pass, then you can buy more in the Departure Area. If they do, you can puchase but will have to pay the duty.
    Say you get two cartons of cigarettes and they enter the info, you can buy more at Departure, at an extra $10.00 duty each. Still cheaper and more than the two-carton limit.
    Walt
    I bought liquer in the duty free shop before I went through customs, and again after I went through customs. I was not even asked about my flight information after I cleared customes. I just paid for the liquer (same price as in the 1st duty free shop by the way), and was given my purchase. No documentation required.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234