Aruba Beach
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By gaby
  • 3 Post By WaltVB

Thread: US Departures

US Departures

Hello, everyone.

I read somewhere (old age, I can't remember where), that they were redoing the US Departure terminal. I know they redid the arrival terminal. We went through that in December. It was fast. I liked it.

Anyway, I heard they were going to do something so you don't have to pick up your bags and go through a second set of security checks. Is this true? we fly carry on only anyway, but if we could save some time with the 2nd security check, that would be nice! We are also planning a couple of trips to Europe in the next few years, so will likely get the Global Entry to skip customs. But we bring friends to Aruba, and they will still have to go through that.

Thank you in advance for any information on this. I know people complain about the 3 hours at the airport, but being able to just walk out when we get home is really nice since customs is already done.

December seems so far away!

Mike

Aruba since 1979
    As of now going thru the 2 nd security is still
    the norm.

The nice part though is that they have automated coming and going through customs, you just walk up to a kiosk, put your passport in and look into the screen and that fast you are through. Also for the declarations portion you do the same, very quick and easy.
    Now you can also jump online before you go to Aruba at...edcardaruba.ed fill out all the questions and print out your paper then when you get on plane to aruba you do not have to fill out all the junk they give you....its already done !!!
    They are making it really easy to go in and out of aruba !!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Thanks! I figured it was just a rumor. And I agree, the new automated things are nice. If only they had at US customs

I've read that as well. Not sure that it just a rumor, but don't think it has been implemented yet.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    the logistics would be difficult.
    once one gathers their bags they are no longer "clean"..meaning someone could add or remove something to those bags causing a security breach.
    the bags are required to be in the passenger's possession for US Customs clearance.
    so, there really does need to be another screening done at that point.

when i read of that plan a few months ago, it sounded awesome, but it did not make much sense.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    the only alternative would be going through US customs back home. I love that when I get off the plane here I walk out the door. since I'm going through it in aruba anyway, I don't mind the double hit. then its over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the logistics would be difficult.
    once one gathers their bags they are no longer "clean"..meaning someone could add or remove something to those bags causing a security breach.
    the bags are required to be in the passenger's possession for US Customs clearance.
    so, there really does need to be another screening done at that point.

when i read of that plan a few months ago, it sounded awesome, but it did not make much sense.

We know US Customs is looking for certain items that are either dangerous, not allowed in the country or taxable. What are the Aruban inspector looking for that's different? This seems to be a good candidate for merger.

You clear US Customs when flying to the US from Abu Dhabi. You drop your bags off when you check in. When you go through US Immigration, you approach the officers (in my case after using the Global Entry kiosk) they show you a picture of your luggage laying somewhere and you have to identify it. You don't touch your luggage again till you arrive at your final destination in the US. Very efficient and time saving. This could definitely be done in Aruba too. It would just take some preplanning.