Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: US Government Shutdown & Impact to Travel--- NONE

Exclamation US Government Shutdown & Impact to Travel--- NONE

Even Amtrak will continue service

Travelers in U.S. won't see snarls from government shutdown

"(Reuters) - Air and rail travelers in the United States should not feel a big impact if Congress fails to avert a government shutdown on Tuesday, since passport inspectors, security officers and air traffic controllers will all continue to work as usual.

The Department of Homeland Security said that most employees of the Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) and Customs and Border Protection are exempt from furloughs that will be put in place if the government shuts down.

As a result, screening of passengers at airport screening checkpoints will continue as usual. On the other end of the flight, agents will still be staffing passport controls at U.S. borders and points of entry into the United States. ..."

From what I understand, past government shutdowns have resulted in a slowing of passport application processing, so if you are thinking about sending it off, do it sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    From what I understand, past government shutdowns have resulted in a slowing of passport application processing, so if you are thinking about sending it off, do it sooner rather than later.
    I just sent my wife's Passport off to be renewed last Monday, they cashed the check on Thursday and today was the first day they reported it being submitted on the status reporting online. Hope we get it back in time or I'm leaving her home! JK

Aruba since 1979
    hahahaha she will not be a happy camper if u skip out on her and head to paradise while she stays home

I just asked dh and he said that he believes that was what happened with our last renewal.

U.S. government = take the money and run!

Mauro....yep, you will be in the dog house forever !!!

On another note...we are going nov 10....hopefully the "shutdown" will be over and the gov't will have come to it's senses.....will let everyone know if we have a problem in the event they are still in never-never land !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I promised her I'd bring her a tshirt!! JK I'm hoping she'll get it back in time

We are flying out of Aruba tomorrow. Will advise if the process takes longer than usual (which is a pretty long time anyway) and if it seems to be caused by one of our government services...

Aruba since 1979
    safe travels walt and mrs walt.
    i am glad your aruba vacation was wonderful.
    enjoy every last moment

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    We are flying out of Aruba tomorrow. Will advise if the process takes longer than usual (which is a pretty long time anyway) and if it seems to be caused by one of our government services...

We are presently on island. All the daily tourist newspapers had an article today alerting (warning) travelers that they should allow 3-4 hrs. to get through US customs at the airport since furloughs will be in effect. We fly out on Sunday, 10/6 so if anyone hears/knows how the US departure process is working (or not), I would really appreciate the 'heads up'.

Aruba since 1979
    Day 1

click above link to read shelly's report.
    she makes mention that they had a saturday flight sept 28 and had no issues .
    hopefully you will have no issues either

QUOTE=Barblepa;249629]We are presently on island. All the daily tourist newspapers had an article today alerting (warning) travelers that they should allow 3-4 hrs. to get through US customs at the airport since furloughs will be in effect. We fly out on Sunday, 10/6 so if anyone hears/knows how the US departure process is working (or not), I would really appreciate the 'heads up'.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast