Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USAir from PHL

a girlfriend of mine that comes down with us every year in november has been looking at usair out of harrisburg, she always flys us out of philly but we noticed that the flights out of harrisburg are a few dollars cheaper even though some of the connections are out of philly.....she lives closer to harrisburg and the cost of leaving her car there is much better than out of philly....we have friends in allentown and the flights out of there are also cheaper that straight out of philly.....i live close to pit and they are also cheaper than flights out of phl.....seems to me that none of what I just wrote makes much sense, but then again we are talking about the airlines and as gaby already said, they dont know what they are doing half the time....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    If you're taking the direct flight down and back there are actually a lot of empty seats on those flights.
    I should have definitely been more quantitative in my comment as yes, there are a fair number of open seats if you count First/Envoy, Choice Seats and the exit rows (currently 29% open on the PHL-AUA flight and 23% on return flight).

Admittedly I was looking at rows 12-26 (17% open on PHL-AUA and 8% on return flight) and/or if you were going to be trying to book two seats together.

It ($503 round trip) still seemed reasonable but I did check the Continental price out of Newark and it is still showing $437.10 ($348 plus 89.10 taxes/fees) for those dates so that is even better if you are looking to get away and flying out of Newark works

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    a girlfriend of mine that comes down with us every year in november has been looking at usair out of harrisburg, she always flys us out of philly but we noticed that the flights out of harrisburg are a few dollars cheaper even though some of the connections are out of philly.....she lives closer to harrisburg and the cost of leaving her car there is much better than out of philly....we have friends in allentown and the flights out of there are also cheaper that straight out of philly.....i live close to pit and they are also cheaper than flights out of phl.....seems to me that none of what I just wrote makes much sense, but then again we are talking about the airlines and as gaby already said, they dont know what they are doing half the time....
    The nice thing about Harrisburg is you can go through Philly or Charlotte. The first flight out of Harrisburg gives you about an hour to connect to Aruba. If you do fly out of Harrisburg, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I should have definitely been more quantitative in my comment as yes, there are a fair number of open seats if you count First/Envoy, Choice Seats and the exit rows (currently 29% open on the PHL-AUA flight and 23% on return flight).

Admittedly I was looking at rows 12-26 (17% open on PHL-AUA and 8% on return flight) and/or if you were going to be trying to book two seats together.
    What you see on the seat maps is often highly inaccurate, especially if you are looking to depart from a hub airport. There are often seats held back for people booking connecting flights that only get opened up to departures from the hub airport closer to the departure date.

Chadd, don't other airlines such as Delta, save blocks of preferred seats for elite members and such as well?

Would these seats show "taken" and no one would have anyway of knowing whether they had already actually been sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Chadd, don't other airlines such as Delta, save blocks of preferred seats for elite members and such as well?

Would these seats show "taken" and no one would have anyway of knowing whether they had already actually been sold?
    I don't know about elites specifically, that is certainly a possibility. The computer revenue management programs that control pricing are amazing. They know the days and times people buy tickets as well as when to raise and lower prices to maximize revenue.

Nobody buying tickets has any real need to know how many of those seats are actually sold or not. It is possible for airline reps to call inventory control and try to get additional seats released if they are blocked but needed. In the end airlines want to sell as many tickets as they can and make as much as they can in the process. The stronger the advance bookings, when compared to historical averages and market projections, the higher the prices will be.

That is interesting.

I do notice that the seat map occasionally tends to have seats magically appear after they show as taken previously when I go to US Air's web site. I had always just chalked that up to the "preferred" choosing a select seat or someone changing their seat location as their flight got closer.

One would think that the airline's blocking available seats until some specific algorithm said to release would be a gamble (and perhaps explains a few things about the airlines).

I guess that means if you really want to go somewhere, don't give up looking for a seat on a flight until that flight is boarding

Thanks Chadd.

We broke down and got our airfare using Airtran. At the time it was almost 500.00 cheaper to go this way.
    USAir was out of my budget and the seats were all empty.
    Fast forward a few months later and USAIr dropped those rates to be about 10.00 more then airtran and are non stops. And there are MANY seats booked.

Now I am sorry I didnt wait.

Quote Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
    And there are MANY seats booked.
    I know exactly how many have been sold on those direct flights.
    Last edited by Chadd; 04-10-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12