Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Vault in Carry-on???

Vacation Vault in Carry-on???

For those of you that bring the VV, do you bring it in your carry-on? Do you put stuff in it and lock it? I don't want to cause a problem with TSA. If they would rather I open it to show what's inside, I'll just put in the checked bag and not have it take up room in my carry-on.
    Looking forward to my Aruba trip:

Aruba since 1979
    if you do not mind that it takes up space bring it in your carry on and leave the cable unlocked in the rare event that tsa wants to look inside.

ours, we now leave it in our timeshare storage box, but we have had it in our checked luggage a couple of times.
    we did carry it empty in the checked luggage.
    stuff that we would store in the VV is stuff we would not put in our checked luggage.......camera, phone, ipod, money etc...

Quote Originally Posted by darrwenn View Post
    For those of you that bring the VV, do you bring it in your carry-on? Do you put stuff in it and lock it? I don't want to cause a problem with TSA. If they would rather I open it to show what's inside, I'll just put in the checked bag and not have it take up room in my carry-on.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Pscked ours with breakables in our lg suitcase and not in the carryon

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Pscked ours with breakables in our lg suitcase and not in the carryon
    We do the same. Always pack it in the checked luggage and make sure something is in it so it's not taking up wasted space - and we always leave it unlocked.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 11-16-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

If you lock it and put it in your checked bag, the TSA is empowered to break it open to inspect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    If you lock it and put it in your checked bag, the TSA is empowered to break it open to inspect it.
    Yikes! That is enough to make me put it in the checked bag. I don't want any hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by darrwenn View Post
    Yikes! That is enough to make me put it in the checked bag. I don't want any hassles.
    It still must be unlocked. If the TSA opens your luggage, and wishes to look at the contents, like Chadd said, they will break open the lock.

www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm
    "TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA."

Some of us have received "love letters" in the past from the TSA.

Aruba since 1979
    if it is brought in checked luggage, keeping the cable/vv unlocked is the only way to go.

I carried mine as my purse on our last trip. I put our passports, money, phones, camera, etc. in it and then just left it unlocked through security. We didn't bring any checked luggage and it seemed a better use of space than putting in my carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by IloveAruba2 View Post
    I carried mine as my purse on our last trip. I put our passports, money, phones, camera, etc. in it and then just left it unlocked through security. We didn't bring any checked luggage and it seemed a better use of space than putting in my carry on.
    That's what I was thinking of doing, but I notice that even when unlocked it seems to "catch" and I have to push the button to open it. I don't want TSA to think it's locked. I was going to put medication, camera, cell phone, chargers and traveler's checks in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast