Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By act1966
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Thread: WestJet generosity

Aruba since 1979

Aruba since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    do any of you fly WestJet?
    No. I've always been able to get better flight days/times and prices with Air Canada and SunWing... definitely NOT an endorsement of either of those airlines but more of a "bottom line" thing.

I would much prefer to fly via private jet or transporter. Beam me up (or down as the case may be with Aruba)!

Hey there...
    The show of generosity and such by Westjet doesn't surprise me in the least.
    Since they've been flying to Aruba, the Lady and I won't fly with anyone else.
    Air Canada, the nation's airline.... I'd sooner try and take a bus ride. They still think they're some sort of monopoly and they treat you like they're doing you a favour by just existing. SunWing... cattle carrier if you ask me. Not the people using the service, the service itself. Small, cramped, not all that lovely, not that anyone's paying executive prices, but let's get serious, small spaces will drive anyone nuts, especially after 4 hrs 20 min.
    I don't know how SunWing is dealing with this, but I know that anything, that should be ANYTHING you request on Air Canada now comes with a price tag.
    Headphones, blanket, crackers, a drink of water....
    And add to that the fact that last year the folks at Westjet were able to locate and return a misplaced/lost phone full of photos for me... very quickly.

Westjet wins in our house. Flying that way this upcoming journey as well.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Our whole family is flying home via Westjet. My kids flew home last year via Westjet and loved the fact that it was direct to TO (Toronto) and didn't have to spend so much time at the airport upon leaving Aruba since they only had to do one set of customs.

This year some of us are flying down to Aruba on WestJet and all of us home. Will report on this in early January. However, my impression so far has been very positive. They are just so pleasant to deal with and one can tell that customer service is really at their forefront.

For half of our family, we don't live in TO so we always have to take two flights regardless of airlines. When we travel home with one of the US airlines we get home somewhere between 10 and 11pm, have cleared customs in Aruba and won't have to get our luggage until we arrive home. The main drawback for us is having to do pick up bags/customs in TO and then have to do the whole security thing again. Many times it is a rush to make connection and so much walking in that airport. Arrival is 12:30/1am too. We will see how this works out this year but I guess you either deal with the craziness in Aruba with the second customs or deal with it in TO.

The biggest issue I have with WestJet is that their pricing is still rather expensive. Some people will pay extra to go direct but if you have to do two flights anyway, shopping around for the best price has its advantages. This is pricing based on travel during the expensive xmas/ny time period. Anyway, we are certainly giving it a try this year and look forward to seeing if we will do it again.

happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Yes Andrea we use WestJet and have for several years. Coming down to Aruba this past September I was one of those lucky ones who gets randomly hauled out of the security line for a more "detailed" search and was offered to have it done in a private area. At 6:30am I didn't care so told them go ahead in public. During the search all my possessions were separated from me and the pet carrier I had was taken to be searched. At the conclusion of the process we went and got onto WestJet to Aruba. About 5 minutes before push back from the gate I realised that my new iPhone was gone, probably during the search. I went up to the flight attendant and explained what had happened. She got onto the radio and called back to the counter and security. As this was happening a group in the 1st row called me. It turned out to be 3 pilots dead heading to Aruba. The lady pilot asked the phone number of my iPhone and called it. This helped them locate it at security. WestJet dispatched someone to go get the phone and then delivered it to me at my seat.

Now, that's what I call REAL service

John

Aruba since 1979
    awesome john!

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Yes Andrea we use WestJet and have for several years. Coming down to Aruba this past September I was one of those lucky ones who gets randomly hauled out of the security line for a more "detailed" search and was offered to have it done in a private area. At 6:30am I didn't care so told them go ahead in public. During the search all my possessions were separated from me and the pet carrier I had was taken to be searched. At the conclusion of the process we went and got onto WestJet to Aruba. About 5 minutes before push back from the gate I realised that my new iPhone was gone, probably during the search. I went up to the flight attendant and explained what had happened. She got onto the radio and called back to the counter and security. As this was happening a group in the 1st row called me. It turned out to be 3 pilots dead heading to Aruba. The lady pilot asked the phone number of my iPhone and called it. This helped them locate it at security. WestJet dispatched someone to go get the phone and then delivered it to me at my seat.

Now, that's what I call REAL service

John