Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is up with Prices

I also assume that they lower prices as the date approaches if they have a lot of empty seats.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Been checking rates from Tulsa for April/may and they are actually lower by about $150 for weekend travael on weekends on Delta and AA. In the $550 range now, over $700 last May.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I also assume that they lower prices as the date approaches if they have a lot of empty seats.
    Yes-- supply and demand-- if there are seats unsold the price will fall.

When I checked prices for Christmas/New Years flights to Aruba from Atlanta during the second week of November, fares were $1500 per person on Delta. One week prior to the actual travel dates, the fare was $550.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    someone I know who works for an airline once told me that if you keep checking on the airfare from the same computer the airline knows the IP address the query is coming from and the price won't go down..I always check prices from different computers to avoid this from happening..I can't say 100% that this is true since I don't work for an airline but I wouldn't put it past them..What gets me is that the planes cost the same, the fuel costs the same the employees make similar wages but different airlines charge such ridiculous prices for the same flight to the same destination..I can see prices varying a little between airlines but when it's $500 - $1000 difference between airlines that's crazy..
    scott and tricia

Quote Originally Posted by sagman17 View Post
    someone I know who works for an airline once told me that if you keep checking on the airfare from the same computer the airline knows the IP address the query is coming from and the price won't go down..I always check prices from different computers to avoid this from happening..I can't say 100% that this is true since I don't work for an airline but I wouldn't put it past them.....

If that was true, neither I nor others would have gotten hundreds of dollars in credits from Jet Blue when our ticket prices went down. Not to mention that most airlines don't offer any recourse if the price drops so there is no need to track your computer because you're stuck with the higher price.

I think the airlines ploy is that if you see the price increasing you will go ahead and buy before the price "goes up" again. Maybe not all airlines, such as JB, play the game that way. This topic has been on NBC and ABC news reports lately.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I am convinced that they have a dart board. Every hour, one of the employees gets to throw the dart and wherever it lands is the price of that flight for that hour. because if you look at 9:00 in the morning, its one price. two hours later, its another price. three hours later is another price. i actually looked at a flight, saw the price, was about to book and poured a cup of coffee and the fare went down $40 by the time I came back. seriously, if regular business did that, they'd be out of business.

airlines play russian roulette with the prices. so you have to constantly, constantly check. I think Lisa said one time, check until you're comfortable with the price, book it and then forget about it, no regrets. I think that's the only way to do it with the airlines. or you will be constantly hitting your head saying I should have waited, etc.

Exclamation How airlines price their fares

Dynamic Pricing in the Airline Industry

A layman's definition of "dynamic pricing"
    Dynamic pricing
    otherwise known as revenue management, progressive pricing or the computerized art of changing a ticket price over time based on actual supply and demand
    Delta right now has an airfare sale from Atlanta to Aruba. April 30, 2013
    $430.40 > 45 days (sale pricing)
    $376.40 < 45 days prior (sale pricing)
    $460.40 sale period black out dates for Easter
    $422.40 off season June non-sale pricing

This past July, for tickets purchased approximately 37 days in advance, our fares were $453.40.

IF I used the theory to wait until < 45 days prior to departure, for a flight this coming June, 5 months out, I would pay MORE for tickets than our flights last July. But, if I wanted to fly during President's week in February, much less than 45 days out, the Delta fare is presently $1053.80.
    Air Tran who is running the same sale as Delta is presently $739.40 for the same dates.

As Gaby said, and I will say it again, buy the tickets when you are comfortable with the price, and do not look back. That is unless you fly Jet Blue and then you will be at your computer at least once a day checking to see if the "dynamic pricing" has brought the fare down.

renaissance private island, iguana joe's, madame janettes..
    andym you must have misunderstood what I was saying..if you buy a ticket on most airlines and the price drops it had better be for more than $150 because that's what the airline charges per ticket for a change fee..so if the price dropped $300 they would refund your $300 but charge you a $150 change fee so you would only get back $150..but what I was saying is that I bought a ticket to aruba and for arguments sake it was $400..I then proceded to check that flight for the next 4 months and not once did I see the price at or below $400..the flight was not sold out, there were plenty of seats, but everytime I checked from my home computer the price was always higher..at one point the price for one ticket was almost $2000..I then used a friend's computer and logged on with their account and checked my dates and low and behold I found a price not to much different from the $400 I paid..airlines are notorious for playing games with pricing just like car dealers do so the public basically has to accept this or not travel by air..since we all love aruba we usually just suck it up and pay what we are okay with so that we can get back to our favorite place in the world..as arubalisa said pay what you are comfortable with and don't look back..unfortunatley jet blue doesn't service all cities yet to aruba..
    scott and tricia

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I think you're giving the airlines too much credit with checking the IP address. I think they just sit around and play with a dart board or one of those wheels you spin on the boardwalk. I check constantly when we are planning a trip and it is all over the place. its up, down, up, down, up, down.

You have to just grab it when it hits that spot you don't mind paying. we have a range and if it falls within that range, I book it. if it goes lower, i don't care because i'm comfortable with my range.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast