Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 105
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What is up with Prices

  1. #31
    Senior Member Shnyda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The pool @ Gold Coast Aruba, Holiday Inn Casino, Arashi Beach, Sunset @ California Lighthouse, Baby Beach, Our friends hotels/timeshares when they are on the Island at the same time as us
    Age
    39
    Posts
    978
    The IP thing is not true --- what is true is that sometimes if you use the same browswer to check prices - you theoretically could miss a price update due to your cookies not being cleared. The browswer would just show the price in it's cache and not give you the update. A cookie clear and refresh would solve this.

    The IP thing sounds to be wayyyyy too shady even for the airlines.
    -Eric, Karen and Mia-
    Aruba New Years 2017-18 12/28/17 - 1/3/18 (18th Trip)


  2. #32
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,927
    hahaha airlines and shady in the same sentence hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnyda View Post
    The IP thing is not true --- what is true is that sometimes if you use the same browswer to check prices - you theoretically could miss a price update due to your cookies not being cleared. The browswer would just show the price in it's cache and not give you the update. A cookie clear and refresh would solve this.

    The IP thing sounds to be wayyyyy too shady even for the airlines.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    I would agree it is more a cookie/caching issue. IF the IP issue were true, which imo, doubtful, you simply need to log out and use a different computer.

    Interesting article http://www.elliott.org/the-navigator...ail-of-crumbs/
    "...
    Donít think of a travel site as a supermarket. Instead, picture it as a Middle Eastern bazaar. How much for the ticket? Whatever it looks as though youíre willing to pay."

  4. #34
    Senior Member jeffnev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    palm beach, eagle beach, any happy hour
    Posts
    719
    Just read the Sunday NY Times travel section predictions for 2013. They expect crowding and higher pricing to continue in 2013, with rates expected to likely increase. Of course, bargains can always be found if one is diligent and patient-neither of which are my virtues .

  5. #35
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I would agree it is more a cookie/caching issue. IF the IP issue were true, which imo, doubtful, you simply need to log out and use a different computer.

    Interesting article http://www.elliott.org/the-navigator...ail-of-crumbs/
    "...
    Don’t think of a travel site as a supermarket. Instead, picture it as a Middle Eastern bazaar. How much for the ticket? Whatever it looks as though you’re willing to pay."
    Interesting article but I've never encountered an instance where I was quoted a price that increased during the booking process. (bait and switch)

    Clearly Jet Blue doesn't care how often you've visited their site or if you've bought tickets. They happily give you a credit if the price has dropped.

    I suspect it's a matter of supply and demand. When tickets first become available, the prices are higher because there is no history and there is wishful thinking on the part of the airline. As the flight date approaches and tickets aren't selling, prices drop so the airline can be sure of filling the plane. As seats are booked they may jump a bit up and down until the departure is really close when the price jumps to grab the last minute travelers.

    There may be other factors. Perhaps the prices go up for warm weather destinations when the weather takes a turn for the worst.

    But that's just my guess.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Interesting article but I've never encountered an instance where I was quoted a price that increased during the booking process. (bait and switch)
    We have not either, though we had a situation where we needed 3 frequent flier tickets and only 2 were available at a lower amount and the 3rd was more miles. We figured it was just like Noah's Ark-- two by two by two...Either way, free is free The main thing that keeps us loyal to Delta.

  7. #37
    Senior Member fattypatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    moomba, stellaris casino, baby beach,
    Posts
    490
    some travel sites quote higher prices for users accessing their sites from apple products - iphone/ipad. the reason being that such folks generally are more well-to-do. i believe expedia is one of them.

  8. #38
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by fattypatty View Post
    some travel sites quote higher prices for users accessing their sites from apple products - iphone/ipad. the reason being that such folks generally are more well-to-do. i believe expedia is one of them.

    I wish that was true. We have two Apple products and we're anything but well-to-do.

  9. #39
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,927
    omg we have more apple products than brains 2 pods, 2 pads, 1 phone, 2 macbooks and "well to do " is only a dream.

    as to the pricing and the "conspiracy theories", do we really know if that is true.?

    my husband and i just sat down and did an expedia search, same dates, same everything.......he using the old toshiba laptop and me using the macbook.
    identical pricing.

    then travelocity....identical pricing

    then AA air only Mia to AUA

    then a JB vacation including air

    no difference between the toshiba and the macbook with what came up.

    oh, and we used our next door neighbor's wifi (which they foolishly have unsecured)



    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I wish that was true. We have two Apple products and we're anything but well-to-do.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177

    Arrow On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered to Pricier Hotels

    Quote Originally Posted by fattypatty View Post
    some travel sites quote higher prices for users accessing their sites from apple products - iphone/ipad. the reason being that such folks generally are more well-to-do. i believe expedia is one of them.
    On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered to Pricier Hotels
    This was a test. Orbitz is not charging users of Apple computers more money for the same hotel than they charge PC users. Their data told them that Mac users overall tend to stay in more expensive properties, so when choosing which hotels to highlight, Orbitz RECOMMENDS more expensive properties.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO