Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Whats wrong with this picture

Whats wrong with this picture

So I just looked up what it would cost me to fly from JFK to Aruba over the dates I am considering in April and I came up with something that shocked and disgusted me all at the same time!

1 round trip direct flight from Boston-Aruba was $1248 Mon-Mon (and that would cause me to call in sick at least one day, lol)
    3 round trip direct flight from JFK- Aruba was $1242 for all 3 people!!!!! Wow, wow, wow, wow!!!!!!

What does Jetblue have against people from Boston? I just checked and its 188 miles door to door between my house an JFK...you can't tell me it costs that much more to fly into Boston. This puts supply and demand on another level....Jetblue is the only carrier flies direct and they want to rob you in the process after doing some research.

Aruba since 1979
    we are trying to figure a plan for our son and family to join us in aruba in may for a week.
    flight prices are ridiculous from Boston.

have u considered SWA? PVD to FLL to AUA (I am unsure if the connection is MCO or FLL for April)

i know you folks do not like connections, but if the price is right it is less of a hassle driving the 4+ hours to and from NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    So I just looked up what it would cost me to fly from JFK to Aruba over the dates I am considering in April and I came up with something that shocked and disgusted me all at the same time!

1 round trip direct flight from Boston-Aruba was $1248 Mon-Mon (and that would cause me to call in sick at least one day, lol)
    3 round trip direct flight from JFK- Aruba was $1242 for all 3 people!!!!! Wow, wow, wow, wow!!!!!!

What does Jetblue have against people from Boston? I just checked and its 188 miles door to door between my house an JFK...you can't tell me it costs that much more to fly into Boston. This puts supply and demand on another level....Jetblue is the only carrier flies direct and they want to rob you in the process after doing some research.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-04-2017 at 09:57 PM.

I think that would be great if you can arrange for your son and family to meet you. When you get away from the vacation weeks its better but never good these days. I have considered SWA and will be flying them if I break down and book April in the next day or two. The flights are just killing me, lol.

My would would NEVER drive to NY and nor would I, I did it out of curiosity and now regret I did. I would rather not go on a vacation than sandwich it around a four hour drive back and forth to NY- nothing against NY.

I will price going thru FLL- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    we are trying to figure a plan for our son and family to join us in aruba in may for a week.
    flight prices are ridiculous from Boston.

have u considered SWA? PVD to FLL to AUA (I am unsure if the connection is MCO or FLL for April)

i know you folks do not like connections, but if the price is right it is less of a hassle driving the 4+ hours to and from NY
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 12-04-2017 at 10:22 PM.

That's why we flew Jet Blue from JFK last year! Less than $2k for 5 of us! I think - don't remember the exact figure - I tend to block it out!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I have been playing with flights for the past 2 days an figured out something that may work well, thanks Andrea!!!!!! The plan I am pitching to the wife is a Monday-Monday trip flying out of Providence. We would need to catch a Southwest 5am flight to FLL airport and then grab a flight on Jetblue that has us it prior 2pm. On the return flight we would fly American into Boston with a connection. Its leaves at 9:15 in the morning which STINKS but we are in by 5:20. We would be leave from Providence and return to Boston so we would need a car service which we typically book anyways. The grand total for all of this will be ONLY $1739 with a few points being used for the JB portion of the trip- not bad at all IMO but I am not the boss, lol.

i know you folks do not like connections, but if the price is right it is less of a hassle driving the 4+ hours to and from NY[/QUOTE]

Aruba since 1979
    be careful re: the PVD to FLL portion of your trip.
    by changing airlines mid route, your checked luggage may be an issue.

imo, i would NOT do it that way.
    if you are going to make an airline change don't do it mid route.

oftentimes lots of us make our outbound (to aruba) on 1 airline.
    and the inbound (return home) on another airline.
    this practice is common.

but be leery of outbound using 2 different airlines and the checked luggage situation and having to go thru TSA/security at your connecting airport.
    (happened to us a couple of years ago on a domestic trip)

just a thought. sorry.

Thanks! That makes sense...I have never switched carriers mid trip...something to think about for sure. I may just give up, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    be careful re: the PVD to FLL portion of your trip.
    by changing airlines mid route, your checked luggage may be an issue.

imo, i would NOT do it that way.
    if you are going to make an airline change don't do it mid route.

oftentimes lots of us make our outbound (to aruba) on 1 airline.
    and the inbound (return home) on another airline.
    this practice is common.

but be leery of outbound using 2 different airlines and the checked luggage situation and having to go thru TSA/security at your connecting airport.
    (happened to us a couple of years ago on a domestic trip)

just a thought. sorry.

I agree with Andrea, I would not change airlines mid-route. You wife already doesn't like a connection I can't imagine how she will feel about picking up luggage and checking into a whole different airline to check again and do the airport security and the whole process again, I cannot imagine that will make her happy. It's one thing to have a connection it's a whole different animal to switch Airlines in the middle of a route.

As for the early American flight, we just took it on Thanksgiving and I would say there are definite good things and definite bad things. Basically your last morning is a complete waste unless you go out to the beach to watch the sunrise. One of the positive things is the airport is completely empty as this is the only US flight that leaves early in the morning. As for the three hour rule just know that US Customs does not open till 8 a.m. so if you get there early and check in with American you will be sitting in the duty-free area waiting for US Customs to open. We ended up eating Sbarro Pizza for breakfast before 8 a.m.
    John really liked the early flight because he felt like the trip was over we got to the airport it was calm there weren't a lot of people and we never felt rushed or crowded. He also liked that there was no traffic downtown during that time of day so the ride to the airport was a breeze . I felt like the last day was a total waste of a night in a hotel room because we didn't get to enjoy any of the morning. I don't think I would want to do the early flight for a 7-day trip. To me it feels like you're losing some precious Aruba time. For a longer trip it's not as bad to me.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Great info Tracey. Using some points I figured out how to stay on JB and travel back on American and get my cost down to $1500 or so. I hate the idea of the early flight but I love the idea of getting home at a reasonable time. So my new plans would still be monday-monday with us getting in just prior to 2pm, then returning on that early morning flight- great to know its the only one and we don't have to arrive 3 hours early.

I never thought about the luggage issues of switching carriers....I typically don't change plans much less carriers so I am new in this "world" and appreciate all the help!

The JetBlue prices out of Boston for my March-April trip were ridiculous this year but constantly changing. The first time I looked a round trip direct flight would cost like $900. I ended up booking two one way tickets and my total price was about $540. You just gotta keep checking or set up a google flight alert.

Another thing this year I've noticed is that for the first time the connecting flights are as much or more than the direct. Previous years we used a "hack" by booking the much cheaper connecting flight though JFK and then changing the flight the day of to the direct flight for a $50 change fee. In the past this would save us some money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast