Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When to arrive at airport

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    play the slots at the airport........make one last donation!!
    oh is that something new? Last time we were here was over 2 years ago.
    Honey can get down with that and will not mind the wait if that is really possible

Aruba since 1979
    there is a slot parlor on the first level right before the entrance to US CUSTOMS.
    there is another slot parlor upstairs, near gate 4 or 5.

For me, I go to the airport no more than 2 hours before departure.

Be warned tho, a flight may leave 30 mins early if these rules are met (varies by airline policy):

-Aircraft is ready (crews on board, aircraft all prepped and fueled up, ready for boarding and no maintenance issues)
    -All checked in passgeners are boarded on the aircraft
    -Captain gets approval from Dispatch (a call via radio or ACARS to airline's headquarters) requesting early departure and slot is available.

Aruba since 1979
    you have been lucky indeed.

i advise folks to follow exactly what their airline recommends.

and the airlines recommend 3 hrs.

air tran actually recommends 4 hrs on their weekend flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
    For me, I go to the airport no more than 2 hours before departure.

Be warned tho, a flight may leave 30 mins early if these rules are met (varies by airline policy):

-Aircraft is ready (crews on board, aircraft all prepped and fueled up, ready for boarding and no maintenance issues)
    -All checked in passgeners are boarded on the aircraft
    -Captain gets approval from Dispatch (a call via radio or ACARS to airline's headquarters) requesting early departure and slot is available.

you have been lucky indeed.

i advise folks to follow exactly what their airline recommends.

and the airlines recommend 3 hrs.

air tran actually recommends 4 hrs on their weekend flights.

Have you ever noticed everytime you fly to Aruba or another international destination that acutally has US Customs based there actually puts the departures check in on the domestic check in desks and gates?

On weekends, we've always left our hotel 3 1/2 hours before departure, to put us at the airport about 3 hours early. For the last several years, we've traveled on airlines where my husband has frequent flyer status, so that we're able to check in through the preferred line, and that usually speeds the process up (once, the regular line went faster than ours, which was pretty funny, and we could laugh because we had given ourselves plenty of time). Usually, it takes us about 45 mins to an hour to get to the gate, but one year, the line to go through emigration was lined up all the way down the side walk in front of the airport. We were very glad we had allowed for plenty of time, because it took what seemed like forever to get to the gate.

This past year, for the first time, we departed on a weekday, and from beginning to end, with a stop at the duty free shop, it took 30 minutes. We'll stick to the three hour rule though. For us, it's not worth the anxiety, and we would worry, of something unforeseen happening to delay us.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Aruba since 1979
    one of our members here (i will not name her) ignored the 3 hr rule and on 2 separate occasions did not get on her flight AND had to pay a ticket change fee AND an upcharge to fly out the next day.
    both times she was in the ticketing area and the ticket agent denied her boarding pass and denied accepting her luggage. it was within an hour an half of her departure time.

one of our members here (i will not name her) ignored the 3 hr rule and on 2 separate occasions did not get on her flight AND had to pay a ticket change fee AND an upcharge to fly out the next day.
    both times she was in the ticketing area and the ticket agent denied her boarding pass and denied accepting her luggage. it was within an hour an half of her departure time.
    They did this TWICE?!?

As I always say "better safe than sorry". Get there early, why take the chance. It's a no-brainer.

We always follow the 3 hour rule, especially on weekends (midweek during off season we sometimes only do 2 hours.) Sometimes it has taken us only 30 minutes to get to the gate when we use the Sky Priority lane (hubby is Gold Medallion with Delta) and other times it has taken the entire 3 hours. You just never know. Too many variables to consider so it's best to give yourself ample time.
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 03-14-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    yup 2x

some folks do not get it!
    and she was annoyed they would not issue her the boarding pass.
    but the airline (continental) ticket agent said, you are not going to make the flight...case closed.

yup 2x

some folks do not get it!
    and she was annoyed they would not issue her the boarding pass.
    but the airline (continental) ticket agent said, you are not going to make the flight...case closed.
    What I don't get is when she did it again! Apparently, no lesson was learned the first time.

We had a woman (about my age) next to us checking in last fall at the MSP airport. We were on our way to a trip to Miami - not sure where she was going. But I could hear her talking to the counter agent - her flight was due to leave within 30 minutes and she was just nonchalantly putting moisturizer on her hands as she was telling the agent "oh, but my flight doesn't leave for another 30 minutes..." I wanted to tell her "lady, you haven't even been through security yet and your flight is already BOARDING NOW". Like you said, some people don't get it. The agent would not allow her to check in for that flight - it was too late.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast