Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: When to Buy Airfare

When to Buy Airfare

Looks like a new study. The key is to remember, that for Aruba you are buying INTERNATIONAL airfare which is different from domestic airfare purchases and seemingly has a different set of rules.

When to ignore our advice and book your flight as early as possible

"International Flights

For both reasons above ó they are popular and there is less air service to them ó itís usually better to book international flights further in advance than you would book a domestic ticket. Our study revealed that the best time to buy flights to the South Pacific was 70 days out, on average. To Africa it was 166 days out. For Mexico it was 89 days, Europe 151, Asia 129, and the Caribbean 101."

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I started looking for air fare as soon as we knew when we were going, back in October. We purchased our tickets in December TUL/AUA for our June trip. I don't think there is a sure time to buy the cheapest tickets. If you see a price that looks pretty good, jump on it. Our tickets cost $770 each for first/business class using a $150 discount off each of 3 tickets with ff miles. Coach was $742 at the time and we could have got the $150 off those as well, but hey, big seats, breakfast and lunch going, lunch and dinner on return and drinks, duh. I still check the prices occasionally and the latest price is $1470 for first/business tickets and $860 for coach. I have not seen the tickets for less or even the same price since I bought them.

In mid-March we had to scuttle our Mid-October planned vacation to Maui because the grandbaby #6 was due on the exact same day as our departure and for some strange reason I had the thought that Grammie Marj would not listen to the argument that the baby would still be there when we got back. We then re-traded our timeshare week for Aruba starting June 6th. Since we had to stick with United, we got an airfare of $510 per person which from what I have seen isn't that bad. Because we got the difference in airfare on a voucher our loss due to change fee was negligible. On the other hand, I booked the airfare for Maui a year out and did not see any significant move downward in the interim.

Costa Linda, Renaissance Ocean Suites, any place where there is a beach and tiki hut I am good 8)
    We go every June and usually book in February. We fly AA out of DFW and usually can't get them any cheaper for $550-$600. This year we decided to go first class and paid $1000 pp. While we had already booked in January, I kept an eye on the airfare a couple of months after that. The ticket prices skyrocketed this year like I have never seen before, up to $800-$900 per person for coach!!! They haven't gone down much since then really. There are a few flights I saw today back down around $600 but a lot of those flights have a day lay over.

I don't honestly know the magic number of days to book out. I have heard 60-70 for international, shorter for domestic. Best of luck to you!

We decided to make a second trip to Aruba this year right after we retuned from our first trip in the beginning of March. We were pretty flexible with our travel dates, so I just watched the airfare to finalize the dates. I'm satisfied booking anything under $450 pp, so when I saw one pop up for $423 at the end of October I grabbed it, which was almost 7 months out. If I had waited a week I could have gotten the same itinerary for $393. Now the prices are up in the high 4's-low 5's, so no complaints here.

If you need to travel at a specific time and that time happens to coincide with Christmas, New Years, Carnival, or winter or spring vacation, purchase as soon as you find something you're comfortable with.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Just for the heck of it I just looked at the prices for our family's flights 12/19 - 1/2. Phildelphia -AUA has gone down about $75. Atlanta - AUA has gone up $200 on fares we booked at $990. Miami - AUA has gone up $200 as well. So we "saved" $600 by booking early. ?

Business class on the same flight out of Atlanta has increased $1000.

Our June flights from Atlanta have gone up $25 and Miami to Aruba has stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Just for the heck of it I just looked at the prices for our family's flights 12/19 - 1/2. Phildelphia -AUA has gone down about $75. Atlanta - AUA has gone up $200 on fares we booked at $990. Miami - AUA has gone up $200 as well. So we "saved" $600 by booking early.
    This reinforces my opinion on high season travel. The only one of Lisa's examples that went down is Philly. I was looking at the same timeframe and Philly was clearly overpriced versus other options at the beginning, and came down about a month later. I was looking at US Airways; that initial overpricing is a trick American had used for years over Christmas, New Years and Presidents Day.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Just checked the Delta fare for our upcoming flight in June. Price has gone from $920 which we purchased in December, to $1580(first/bus w/no discounts). Coach fares were up from $742 to $896.

I was looking at June Delta fares today from Atlanta and they were all over the place depending upon the exact dates. Mid-week there were still some cheap seats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast