Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Will the airport be busy for a 5:45pm flight on a Monday afternoon, non-holiday wknd?

Will the airport be busy for a 5:45pm flight on a Monday afternoon, non-holiday wknd?

How busy should I expect AUA to be as we depart back to the U.S. on Monday afternoon, on a non-holiday weekend? A 5:45 pm departure. We have TSA precheck and Global Entry, and are not checking bags. I've seen the recommendation to arrive 3 hours early, but wouldn't that be for someone without these "shortcuts", who might be departing on a Saturday or Sunday? How far in advance should we arrive on a Monday, given our particular situation and flight time? Thank you!

We are traveling at the end of February.

Aruba since 1979
    you should not encounter huge lines

i would still allow the 3 hours as the airlines recommend
    (but i am pretty certain you will not need that amount of time to go thru the immigration, tsa stops and us customs my guess is 45 minutes tops)

Quote Originally Posted by travelove View Post
    How busy should I expect AUA to be as we depart back to the U.S. on Monday afternoon, on a non-holiday weekend? A 5:45 pm departure. We have TSA precheck and Global Entry, and are not checking bags. I've seen the recommendation to arrive 3 hours early, but wouldn't that be for someone without these "shortcuts", who might be departing on a Saturday or Sunday? How far in advance should we arrive on a Monday, given our particular situation and flight time? Thank you!
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

I've just read some accounts where folks made it all the way through in half an hour - would be a real shame to sit in the airport for 2.5 hours. We're ok taking a bit of a chance, but I don't want to be foolish. Would 1.5-2 hours early be considered very risky in this situation? Am I correct that we will be in expedited lines for at least half of our experience with not checking bags, TSA precheck and global entry?

Aruba since 1979
    yes many do make it thru in 30 minutes.

i am pretty conservative though in my airport advice and always say to follow what is recommended.

i am sure many others will disagree....and that is fine. that is what this forum is about "respectful opinions"

Thanks yes all opinions are appreciated! I really am going in blind never having been to Aruba nor the Caribbean at all. Just don't know what to expect.

I wouldn't do any less than 2 hours. Sometimes the hold ups are at the airline check in counter or security check points that everyone has to go through. I dont think pre check helps coming home from Aruba. You will be doing Aruba security and US security check points. You have a later flight so the rush should be winding down. Sometimes for no peak hours the staffing levels are lower so even though there are less people there are still lines. Personally I would rather sit in the airport for 2.5 hours than be stressed out in a security line wondering if we are going to make the flight.

We always do the recommended 3 or sometimes more based on day or tine of departure but we always have bags and don't have global entry.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

If you get through it all in less time, you can always have a late lunch/snack and a drink or two while you wait. Also,, the airport has free wifi.

We made it thru last week in less than 40 minutes. We always heed the advice and arrived more than 3 hours early....we were so early, the workers wernt ready yet, lol. We like to eat lunch after we go thru so we leave plenty of time. Don't forget, with the new TSA screening, even with no lines they won't let you board the plane if you are not at least an hour early....

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    travelove, I answered you on the global entry thing. and everyone here is right, tsa precheck & global do nothing for the Aruban segment of the airport. It only comes into play for the kiosks & customs line. It doesn't even help when you put your bag on the security conveyor belt. you still get in the same line but there really isn't a line at that point since you're way ahead of everyone. I would suggest you don't need three hours but at least 2 hours, nothing less than that cause as everyone says, you never know and you have to remember they start boarding half an hour prior to flight. so two hours is really giving you an hour & half. And there is free wifi & a great bar "One Happy Bar" where you can get something to eat, too
    Last edited by gaby; 01-11-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: adding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast