Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Will the airport be busy for a 5:45pm flight on a Monday afternoon, non-holiday wknd?

I generally try to arrive 2.5 hours or more before the flight. Most times we have some time to shop at Duty Free before going upstairs but there have been a few times that we didn't have time to stop at all. Last year 2.5 hours was not enough time to stop at Duty free, that was on a Monday night.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Flew home this past friday
    start to finish with global entry was 35 minutes
    our flight was at 5:35 pm

Quote Originally Posted by travelove View Post
    How busy should I expect AUA to be as we depart back to the U.S. on Monday afternoon, on a non-holiday weekend? A 5:45 pm departure. We have TSA precheck and Global Entry, and are not checking bags. I've seen the recommendation to arrive 3 hours early, but wouldn't that be for someone without these "shortcuts", who might be departing on a Saturday or Sunday? How far in advance should we arrive on a Monday, given our particular situation and flight time? Thank you!

1st stop: Aruba Immigration
    2nd stop: Aruba Security
    3rd Stop: Pick up luggage (if any checked)
    4th Stop: Global Entry Kiosk
    5th Stop: US Custom/Immigration Counter
    6th Stop: US Security ( No TSA pre-check as of Nov.)( Hope that changes)
    7th Stop: One Happy Bar
    Don't miss your plane

Seeing as you're travelling on a Monday afternoon it should not be that bad crowd wise. Still allow yourself 3 hours to check in. Thankfully you're not returning on the weekend (Saturday/Sunday), those days tend to be rather hairy when it comes to return flights back to the States.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We flew home on a Monday in Feb. two years ago. The check in area was nearly empty. We thought that we would breeze through everything, but found that the other stations reduced their staff, so there were lines at every area. I think that it took us about 1 1/2 hours that day. Usually, we leave on a Friday. Last year, we were able to get through the airport on a Friday in about one hour, due to the fact that they had more people working. We've learned never to assume anything, just allow plenty of time.

We flew back last Friday, at 5:20PM flight.
    Came to airport at 3:15 and made every checkpoints in 1 hour 15 minutes.
    The checked in took the most of the time, because Boston and New York flights were 10 minutes appart.

I would follow the 3 hour rule. You never know what you might encounter on the road or airport. My last trip I was going to cut it to 2 hour but guess what, there was traffic every where and the cab driver was trying to go through back end streets just to get to airport and it was crowded as well. When I arrived at the airport, I did zipp thru in 30 minutes but I shopped at duty free which I never get a chance to, I had my pannini at One Happy Bar (good pannini for $6) and a few screwdrivers and the time just flew bye. I slept like a baby on the plane..

Thanks - it sounds like some folks are saying the check in was one of the longer parts of the process - but won't I be skipping that if I print my boarding pass online and I'm not checking bags? Or am I not understanding something?

Aruba since 1979
    the short answer....no.

you will still have to go to "ticketing", but it will be quick.
    the ticket person will check your passport and boarding pass.

Quote Originally Posted by travelove View Post
    Thanks - it sounds like some folks are saying the check in was one of the longer parts of the process - but won't I be skipping that if I print my boarding pass online and I'm not checking bags? Or am I not understanding something?

Thanks for all of the advice. Just to share my experience - we got through on a Monday afternoon in less than 20 minutes. We have global entry, but in general all the lines looked short. We arrived at the airport about 1 hr 45 minutes prior to our flight, and I would have hated to have gone any earlier! We enjoyed all of our extra time in the sun! I know it may not be the same experience for everyone, but if you're going at a slower day or time, I encourage you to enjoy most of your vacation outside the airport. (Also note - some folks told me I would have to go to the airline desk to "check in" before proceeding to aruba immigration, even though I was not checking bags and had already printed out my boarding pass at the hotel. This is not true- you can go directly to aruba immigration in this instance. But that shortcut actually didn't save too much extra time, as the check in hall was completely deserted.)
    Last edited by travelove; 03-01-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast