Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Advice on obtaining a work permit...

Advice on obtaining a work permit...

Hi,

I recently interviewed with and American company in Aruba and after speaking with the hiring manager he put me in touch with someone to help me secure a work visa. I didn't want to seem uninformed so I did not ask a lot of questions of the hiring manager.

Can someone tell me what to expect? I see there are a number of fees involved with a work permit with a security deposit (I assume if they need to deport me) and from what I can tell timeframes can be up to 3 months. It also appears that the permit is good for 1 year.

Are my assumptions correct? What happens after my 1 year visa expires? I know you have to renew it, but does my employer still need to sponsor it? Do I need to keep that job if I don't like it or will I get deported?

Any advice from Ex-pats would be appreciated. (I am American and I know it makes a difference as to what country you hail from)

thanks!

-Rich

Please contact DIMAS - they would be best suited to answer your questions correctly.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Good luck Rich. Let us know how the process goes. Love to hear about it...

Yes, very familiar with DIMAS... I was hoping to hear 1st hand from someone that has gone through the process. Real world as opposed to what DIMAS tells me.

thanks for the tip though!

-Rich

Gotcha Good luck!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    agree 100% with jacki!

also too, do you know anyone on this forum who is an expat working in aruba who may be able to give you some words of advice/encouragement?

i would also pick the brain of the hiring manager.
    i would hope that he/she is full of advice.

your work visa will be specific that you are working for X and sponsored by X and if you are not employed by X, then aruba will show you the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelinman View Post
    Hi,

I recently interviewed with and American company in Aruba and after speaking with the hiring manager he put me in touch with someone to help me secure a work visa. I didn't want to seem uninformed so I did not ask a lot of questions of the hiring manager.

Can someone tell me what to expect? I see there are a number of fees involved with a work permit with a security deposit (I assume if they need to deport me) and from what I can tell timeframes can be up to 3 months. It also appears that the permit is good for 1 year.

Are my assumptions correct? What happens after my 1 year visa expires? I know you have to renew it, but does my employer still need to sponsor it? Do I need to keep that job if I don't like it or will I get deported?

Any advice from Ex-pats would be appreciated. (I am American and I know it makes a difference as to what country you hail from)

thanks!

-Rich

On a side note, the income requirements to support yourself in Aruba seem to be low. I saw this on some of the links that were provided to you a few years back. Check out the links Andrea provided you over the last few years when you asked questions about permits and moving for some additional info.

I was just looking at the application for employment etc....pretty straight forward actually if you have your sponsor lined up etc...it will take time and some money though. Good luck.

So I got a lot of answers that I thought I would share here if anyone is interested in obtaining a work permit...

The company I interviewed with asked me to work with you on securing a Work permit.... Does that mean they will sponsor my permit? Yes, they will sponsor you permit

Will this permit allow me to work anywhere on the island or only with this company? ONLY at this company and renewable every year.

I have not received an official job offer from this company, does that need to occur before the work permit process? YES. I need a signed contract to request Labor department.

Will the permit be approved for sure or can it be denied? since you have an advanced degree is easier for you to get it. HOWEVER it may be denied due to false paperwork or an ARUBIAN applied and did not get the job. This is a very tiny possibility but I have to inform you.

How long is the permit valid for? ONE YEAR

What happens when it expires? Two months before it expires we have to renew it again.

Will the permit also allow me temporary or permanent residency or is that another permit? temporary one year

How long does it take to receive a work visa? 4 months approx.

Do I need to schedule a face-face meeting in Aruba for the permit? no. I will deliver all the paperwork at LABOR Department and DIMAS department.

What are the fees involved?
    The cost will be approx.1500.- US Dollars. The stamps at Dimas are excl. in this costs (approx.$1300).

Aruba since 1979
    so, these are the answers from the company liason that the company put you in touch with?
    is this the person that will handle your work permit if you are hired?

Quote Originally Posted by Travelinman View Post
    So I got a lot of answers that I thought I would share here if anyone is interested in obtaining a work permit...

The company I interviewed with asked me to work with you on securing a Work permit.... Does that mean they will sponsor my permit? Yes, they will sponsor you permit

Will this permit allow me to work anywhere on the island or only with this company? ONLY at this company and renewable every year.

I have not received an official job offer from this company, does that need to occur before the work permit process? YES. I need a signed contract to request Labor department.

Will the permit be approved for sure or can it be denied? since you have an advanced degree is easier for you to get it. HOWEVER it may be denied due to false paperwork or an ARUBIAN applied and did not get the job. This is a very tiny possibility but I have to inform you.

How long is the permit valid for? ONE YEAR

What happens when it expires? Two months before it expires we have to renew it again.

Will the permit also allow me temporary or permanent residency or is that another permit? temporary one year

How long does it take to receive a work visa? 4 months approx.

Do I need to schedule a face-face meeting in Aruba for the permit? no. I will deliver all the paperwork at LABOR Department and DIMAS department.

What are the fees involved?
    The cost will be approx.1500.- US Dollars. The stamps at Dimas are excl. in this costs (approx.$1300).

Correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast