Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Applying for Residency

Aruba since 1979
    in regards to your comments about the kids that live on aruba.
    the kids play OUTSIDE every day.
    by play i mean PLAY.....like we used to many moons ago b4 nintendo, soccer leagues, dance lessons and all that stuff.

couple of times late afternoon while out on our little travels, we saw little girls on their front step playing dolls. boys and girls playing wiffleball all around, lots of kids/families late afternoons at the beach.

a great place to "play outdoors"
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    We grow tomatoes at certain times of the year when it's
    considered 'colder' at night. Otherwise it's too warm
    for some varieties and the buds fall off.

We have to have a tomato cage because iguanas love to
    take 1 bite from them. I think it's because they are red.
    But I think they taste them and say 'yuk'.

Marjorie -
    Process for perm. residency is the same as holland. You
    have to take the exam but I think you might now
    have the option of taking it in dutch or papimento.
    So you will not find it any easier in Aruba than Holland.

Sunsmom -
    This is the perfect place to raise kids. If I had moved here younger,
    I would have seriously considered having kids. I enjoy
    watching the local kids wind and kite surfing especially. There
    is one young boy who I think is one of the cutest kids I have
    ever seen. The kids aren't raised to be 'afraid' and are
    able to have a childhood full of play and fun. The kids
    here (generally) are really polite and well behaved.

Anywhere I can feel the sun and the nice aruban breeze!

We are moving soon in the Caribbean!!

My husband and I are so tired of the cold and snowy winters in Canada and are anxious to make a permanent move to the beautiful Caribbean. We are looking at different islands to make our move but aruba is at the top of our list right now. We are francophones and speak fluently in English. We will start studying Spanish soon but I know that Papiamento and Dutch would also be great assets.

We were in Aruba for one day when we sailed on the Celebrity Millennium last April 15th and Hubby went to meet someone at DIMAS. He got a lot of information but will have to contact the chamber of commerce to have some more information about starting a business on the island. He is a massage therapist and would love to open up a little clinic or a spa where he could employ some of the locals.

I am a teacher and read somewhere that there are young people who need to go in Europe to study and that French is an asset for them. I'll have to get more information on this. Who knows, I could become a French tutor on the island.

Today, it is cloudy and 10 degrees celcius cold here... I miss the sun and the warmth of the Caribbean islands!!!!
    Last edited by Missou; 04-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.

So Do you have to have $106,000 in that bank account, or, by being married you only need $53,000? you know, the account that shows you won't become a burden to the government? It's kind of confusing to me? how does a family with say, 2 kids move there?
    Last edited by rensig; 04-27-2011 at 02:35 PM.

The thing that confuses me is, how can they look for you to have $100,000 on hand when the locals only make about $20,000 per year in salary. . . . That is the confusing part. If I retire with only an anual income of $ 50,000 I do not qualify for residencey even if I own my home out right. . . . .

Aruba since 1979
    have you looked into it further tom?
    DIMAS wants to see that you (or anyone) will not be a financial burden.
    $106,000 in the bank? is that true?

i do know, when one becomes a resident, one must post a bond to cover their "deportation" if the need arises.

maybe some expatriots can add to this?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    how long is a visa good for at one given time?? and if you leave, how long can you return and apply for a visa again?

According to the papers we got from Dimas, someone who wants to retire in Aruba needs to have a pension or somekind of income of 100 000 guilders net per year. Since 1 US dollar is equal to 1,75 guilder, an american would need 57 150$ whether he comes alone or with a spouse.

If one wants to come and work for an exciting company, the employer needs to ensure a net revenue of 50 000 guilders or 28 600USD per year.

We still need to make some research about openning a business on the island. The chamber of commerce is the next place we need to contact.
    Last edited by Missou; 04-27-2011 at 05:18 PM.

residence minimum income requirements to change
    Looks like $55,000 USD per year is the figure.

Thank you Arubalisa. This information makes it a lot easier for us to plan our move within the next 5 years

Have a nice day!!

Dominique

$60,000 in bank or

Hello I was at the tax office in Aruba last August and they told me I would have to have $60K in bank or be able to show that I have a pension or some other guaranteed income totalling $60K US a month.

I just left Aruba April 23,2011 and I am heading back end of May to hand in my papers to Dimas. My appointment is the 26th. I have already signed a lease and gathered all the documentation.. I am soooooo excited!!

Has anyone on this forum moved from Boston? If so did you use a shipping company that you can refer to me?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Pensionado; 04-28-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast