Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Areas to avoid

Areas to avoid

What areas are to be avoided? Are they around the capital or Soroe Colarado area?

Aruba since 1979
    in what way do you mean avoid?

i have never avoided any areas and everywhere i have been was treated well.

I trying to find out is there any areas where drug pushers operrate. We every where in Aruba have been treated with kindness. That's why we love it so much and plan to retire there. After reading on one of the Aruban forums a out increasing drug use in Aruba. wanted to check on any areas this may take place and so avoid.

People who live in Aruba will know of such areas.

If Aruba has no areas where drugs is a problem, then that's just fantastic. My son Richard will be going to the international school there, and so for my family sake it's important to find out everything.

For me living in Aruba is a dream and counting down the days. Here in the west crime is high. Young people have no respect for any one. In some schools here students are searched for knives, how sad is that. All these things and the horrible climate here was what made me look for better places. Finding Aruba was pure luck, and so glad I did.

One happy island is so true. With reading the Aruban forum article just checking was there any black spots I missed?

If Aruba has no black spots, or bad areas then that's just great. I must admit I was surprised my self reading about the drugs, because when our family visit Aruba we have never had any problems at all. In fact the Aruban people have been just wonderful and very friendly, that's why we want to live in Aruba. I just wanted to confirm this

Aruba since 1979
    there are druggies here.......there are drugs everywhere in the world.

downtown along the side roads at night that is where one might be approached.
    also too maybe in the resort areas at night while out walking but infrequent.

again, drugs are here as in the rest of the world, but a far LESS presence here.

Quote Originally Posted by garyiryna View Post
    I trying to find out is there any areas where drug pushers operrate. We every where in Aruba have been treated with kindness. That's why we love it so much and plan to retire there. After reading on one of the Aruban forums a out increasing drug use in Aruba. wanted to check on any areas this may take place and so avoid.

People who live in Aruba will know of such areas.

If Aruba has no areas where drugs is a problem, then that's just fantastic. My son Richard will be going to the international school there, and so for my family sake it's important to find out everything.

For me living in Aruba is a dream and counting down the days. Here in the west crime is high. Young people have no respect for any one. In some schools here students are searched for knives, how sad is that. All these things and the horrible climate here was what made me look for better places. Finding Aruba was pure luck, and so glad I did.

One happy island is so true. With reading the Aruban forum article just checking was there any black spots I missed?

If Aruba has no black spots, or bad areas then that's just great. I must admit I was surprised my self reading about the drugs, because when our family visit Aruba we have never had any problems at all. In fact the Aruban people have been just wonderful and very friendly, that's why we want to live in Aruba. I just wanted to confirm this

Arrow The safest destinations around the world

MSNBC.com

The safest destinations around the world
    Where you can travel without worry, and feel super-secure
    By Joe Yogerst
    Forbes Traveler.com
    updated 10:08 a.m. ET, Thurs., June 11, 2009

Given some Caribbean islands' reputation for violent crime and the high-profile Natalee Holloway case in Aruba, it may seem counterintuitive to include the Dutch ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) on a list of the world’s safest places to travel.

But the stats don’t lie: Crime rates on the three islands are low, political unrest is virtually unknown, they’re too far south for hurricanes, and in 2008 the trio ranked lowest in the Caribbean in felonious incidents against visiting yachts. In fact, Aruba was the only place in the region to achieve a perfect score on the yacht crime survey.

To find the world’s ultra-safe places to travel we analyzed piles of data, from U.S. State Department warnings on crime against U.S. citizens abroad and the latest United Nations survey on global crime trends to the Mercer rankings of the world’s safest cities. We also looked at other fear factors: natural disasters, social or political unrest, warfare and terrorism. However, the criteria are too varied to make a definitive ranking credible and to rank the 10 safest countries. Some of our choices were obvious: bucolic New Zealand, neutral Switzerland and squeaky-clean Singapore. As for omissions, the Scandinavian countries and some very small island nations would make a longer list of 20 or 25.

Some of our findings are surprising. Maybe it’s movies like "Gangs of New York" and guilt by association with the ongoing troubles across the border in Ulster, but the Irish have always had a rather gruff reputation. But you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. A recent World Health Organization study named the Emerald Isle the least violent country in Europe. And according to the latest Mercer rankings of the world’s safest urban areas, Dublin is less dangerous than major cities in Japan, Australia or Canada.

The image of the rough, tough Irishman “is a media myth—the Hollywood version,” says retired Irish entrepreneur and diplomat Michael Mullally, who for many years had address his country’s persona abroad. “It’s about a realistic an image of the Irishman as the Marlboro Man is of Americans.”

Cyprus is another place that bucked its traditional image. The 1950s struggle for independence against the British and the Turkish invasion of 1974 and its contentious aftermath color perceptions of the eastern Mediterranean isle. But with the Orthodox church and the traditional Greek family as the twin pillars of society—and a booming economy since entering the European Union in 2004—the island has evolved into a haven of serenity. Recent moves toward rapprochement between independent Cyprus and Turkish-controlled North Cyprus have also contributed to the overall sense of calm.

Tasoula Manaridis of the Cyprus Tourism Organization feels that several factors contribute to the island being such a safe destination. “Cyprus is a country with very high per capita income, one of the highest in Europe. The poverty is at a very, very low level.” But she also points out that, “We never had a terrorist attack either. When they have troubles in the Middle East, they evacuate people out to Cyprus because it's the safest destination nearby.”
    Our search for the safest places revealed several common denominators.
    Almost all of them are relatively small in terms of both size and population (New Zealand was the largest in both categories). They are all fairly affluent, if not on a global basis then certainly when compared to other countries in their region. And for the most part they are free and open societies, with democratically elected governments and freedom of the press. Religious and family values also figure into the mix.

Many of them have homogenous populations, although the melting pots of Singapore, Switzerland and the Dutch southern Caribbean islands show that isn’t always the case.

According to Jacob Gelt Dekker, mastermind behind the award-winning Kura Hulanda restoration project and museum in Curacao, the keys to their own their tranquility are employment and education. “Unemployment on Curacao is about 3 percent of the adult work force ... These numbers compare very favorably to the rest of the Caribbean, where unemployment of the adult work force is on average 15-25 percent.”

Local unemployment is low because the education is ingrained in the local culture and heavily backed by the government. “Education laws make schooling obligatory up to the age of 18 years, and soon to be extended to 21,” Dekker explains. “We expect crime to be even less in the near future, as the schooling laws come in to play.”

Most dangerous places
    For a rough comparison, we’ll note the United Nations Office rankings on Drugs & Crime, listing a few of the countries ranked solely on the basis of crime and drugs.

Obviously a country currently involved on a war (Iraq, Afghanistan) is going to be the most dangerous. Many large countries do not fare as well. For instance, Colombia, South Africa and Jamaica almost always rank among the world’s most dangerous. Reading from most dangerous to least, the U.S. is the least safe of the big Western nations. The U.N. study ranks the U.S. at No. 24 in per capita murder, well head of France (No. 40), Britain (No. 46), Germany (No. 49) and Japan (No. 60).

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31209850/
    © 2009 MSNBC.com

For further information you can also go to

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/
    Click on
    Search this Forum (on upper right side)
    Type into the search box your "keyword"
    and a bunch of threads containing info will appear

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>>> "there are druggies here"
    ----- Ditto. Been coming since 1987 and never been stopped once asking if I needed anything. Now my son who is 25 years younger was asked once if he needed anything. So I guess it depends how young you look.
    >>>> "The safest destinations around the world"
    ------- Aruba is that. When I walk my dog at night I worry and I am not in a big city. In Aruba I don't worry. Yes there is petty crime even in Aruba so lock your doors(balcony also), don't leave stuff in your rental car, don't leave stuff on the beach. Now we have never had anything taken but it does happen.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 08-11-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Areas to avoid regarding Buying Homes

When buying your family dream retirement home, what areas should be avoided ?
    And which areas are best for rental? I know Aruba is a safe lovely island, but some areas are best to avoid when buying home. I would like to know where they are? Any member who knows Aruba really well might be able to help?

Aruba since 1979
    your best bet is to go to aruba and spend some time with some of the residents and maybe realtors...touring and visiting and talking and asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by garyiryna View Post
    When buying your family dream retirement home, what areas should be avoided ?
    And which areas are best for rental? I know Aruba is a safe lovely island, but some areas are best to avoid when buying home. I would like to know where they are? Any member who knows Aruba really well might be able to help?

Regarding Buying Retirement homes, places to avoid

We all know lovely Aruba is a safe island, people friendly. But with buying your dream Retirement home inmind, what areas should be avoided?

And with view of rental money, which areas bring in the best rent? I am hoping someone who knows Aruba very well can help me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast