Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Areas to avoid

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I think we are several people here that would be able to answer your last questions, but that would be our subjective opinion, based on our preferences and financial framework. It would probably also be better to point out where to buy than where not to buy. I personally have very few places where I would buy in Aruba and others have completely different ones, but it is always based on personal preference. On the financial side you can get a nice house on the water in Savaneta for as little as 500K US$, but in other places that would not even get you the land. So it is very hard to answer what is right for you. I have friends who love to live in places where I would never buy and vice versa. But if you take comparable houses from different areas and list them by price you will get a good idea of what the general public think. Even within a small area, there are also very big differences. I live in on of the best areas on the Island, but even within this one there is a big difference on where in the area/street your house is, based on views, neighbors, flooding, wind etc etc. If someone was "forced" to advice you, they would need to know: your lifestyle, your financial framework, your family situation, your shopping habits etc. etc. to be even close to give a good advice, and even in that case I would not do it on a forum like this, but IRL or as a PM. So if nobody gives you answers on this, it is not because they will not help, but for the above reasons.
    Like Andrea said, your best bet will be to find someone who owns here, who really knows the island, who you trust and who knows your preferences and have them guide you.

Carsten

Aruba since 1979
    yes carsten, all very subjective.

here is my maine story and there is a moral to the story.......the moral is "we should have rented for 6 months to a year to try it out and talked to people"

my husband and i retired in 2008. an early retirement (as you all know i am only a child) ;-)

during our plan to retire we kicked around "where to live"
    suffice it to say, we chose e. central maine.

we renovated a gorgeous old colonial.
    we spared no expense (how stupid were we!!??)
    we sold our house in Mass.
    we finally moved in to a house that was too big for us, beautiful location on a river, lovely neighborhood, conservation land on 2 sides of our house and had more flora and fauna and nature than one could imagine.
    for a few months we were enthralled with the location, the river, the eagles, the deer etc...
    then it began to really be awful.
    isolation
    unnerved about being so close to the forest and the feeling of being unsafe.
    unfriendly neighbors
    friends not wanting to visit due to cold, distance and boredom.
    unwelcoming town
    bored to tears
    cold
    cold
    cold

we ended up selling the house, taking a considerable financial and emotional loss and moving to the tampa bay area of florida.

so it goes back to my 2nd sentence, my moral of the story.
    it is all subjective.
    everyone's needs and wants are different.

and if i were to buy in aruba, and i have been there 35 times, i still have no idea where i'd buy. maybe wayaca, savenetta, paradera, arashi, noord ???????? too many places that i would consider.

and i probably could not afford the monthly electric and water bills

spend much time visiting and doing the legwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzerjoy View Post
    I think we are several people here that would be able to answer your last questions, but that would be our subjective opinion, based on our preferences and financial framework. It would probably also be better to point out where to buy than where not to buy. I personally have very few places where I would buy in Aruba and others have completely different ones, but it is always based on personal preference. On the financial side you can get a nice house on the water in Savaneta for as little as 500K US$, but in other places that would not even get you the land. So it is very hard to answer what is right for you. I have friends who love to live in places where I would never buy and vice versa. But if you take comparable houses from different areas and list them by price you will get a good idea of what the general public think. Even within a small area, there are also very big differences. I live in on of the best areas on the Island, but even within this one there is a big difference on where in the area/street your house is, based on views, neighbors, flooding, wind etc etc. If someone was "forced" to advice you, they would need to know: your lifestyle, your financial framework, your family situation, your shopping habits etc. etc. to be even close to give a good advice, and even in that case I would not do it on a forum like this, but IRL or as a PM. So if nobody gives you answers on this, it is not because they will not help, but for the above reasons.
    Like Andrea said, your best bet will be to find someone who owns here, who really knows the island, who you trust and who knows your preferences and have them guide you.

Carsten

Good advice, Andrea!

Firstly back to the question regarding areas to avoid. yes there are areas to avoid where drugs are being offered. Next to Moomba beach there is an alley between Moomba and Marriott there have been locals at times offering drugs to people just passing by, avoid that area at night. The alley downtown near Senor Frogs, stay away from that area at night! Not that i have been approached or frequented those places but many have told me and also police have advised about drug related "stuff" going on there.

Andrea has given very very good advice, take it from me who has built a home in Aruba. Rent first and test out the waters.

Someone offered me drugs right next to the "visibility team" location on Palm Beach yesterday. Things like that will happen just about anywhere that there are people.

We walk on the street by Moomba every night as do our older kids. Yes, someone might ask our kids (no one would ask us as we are too old) but they are not harassed. We don't really feel intimidated.

As far as Senior Frogs (they have moved locations), there were a lot of violence on the street. I was told most of the issues happened in the early morning hours after people had been drinking and coupled with the fact that the street that SF was located on was dark and isolated. My kids were told to get in a cab from SF and NOT to walk along that street at night.

Aside from this, common sense should always prevail. Doesn't matter where you are you need use judgment and not blind faith when deciding where to wander. Having said that, we feel extremely safe in just about anywhere we go in Aruba. We don't walk the beach late at night and don't walk around downtown in dimly lit areas.

However, I think garyiryna was actually asking about places that they would want to live and want a "safe" area. Andrea's advise is the best as it is always a good idea to test an area before heavily investing.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

There are some parts of Pos Chiquito (Mangel Halto area) that I would think twice about moving into. I stayed at Seabreeze Apartments and saw a lot of questionable activity.

GaryIryna,

Meet me on the island and I'll show you one end to the other. Good, bad, ugly, and awesome, it's all a matter of perspective and being honest with yourself.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

trying to be helpfull

Quote Originally Posted by garyiryna View Post
    We all know lovely Aruba is a safe island, people friendly. But with buying your dream Retirement home inmind, what areas should be avoided?

And with view of rental money, which areas bring in the best rent? I am hoping someone who knows Aruba very well can help me!

Last edited by rustic; 04-23-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: contact info-ish

pool side with my kindle in one hand and a Malibu + pineapple in the other :O)
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic View Post
    I was born and raised in aruba and i am now a 17 year old girl.

My father is a taxi driver and i have worked with him quite often actually so i know allot also of the night life and how things go.

if you are interested in my help feel free to email me^^ or facebook me "dary-lienn Croes"

Hi Rustic!
    So nice of you to start an account to be helpful
    Would you by any chance be Serry's daughter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast