Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aruba ID Card / Personal ID number

I got a tax ID to buy my car. I was told when I bought it used that I couldn't put it in my name or get license plates without that ID. I am not a resident but am here for a long time this year. I was also told at Setar that I needed the same ID. I went to the tax office, filled out the paperwork (in Dutch of course - nice Aurbian lady helped me in line) and then waited to be called for the ID. It is really up to them if they give it to you on the spot or if you have to wait for it. I have had people here tell me they had to wait a couple of months. I was lucky that they gave me mine right away (I wonder if my Dutch surname helped ).

Timeshares and local pricing

In response to the question about owning a Timeshare and getting local pricing. Under Dutch law, timeshares are not recognized as real estate. I was attempting to sell ours and asked our Notary to handle the transaction and I was advised of this.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Most places in the world consider Timeshare to be "prepaid rent" or payment for "right of use" which it actually normally is. Therefore it is not considered property.

Linda, the ID you got at the tax office, was that not just a paper with a handwritten number on it, with no pictures?.
    That is what I got/needed to buy the car, boat and quad. The one I got is called a tax ID, but is not an ID, but just a kind of Social Security number, so that they can tax you and keep track of you in their system.

I am also very interested in getting a real Aruba ID, but so far my perception is, like Lizzardo says, that you need to have residency to get one. Owning property and staying there half the year is not enough, but I hope you can tell me otherwise.
    Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 06-08-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Yes, mine was simply a number but I have used it - at immigration in the airport when they were telling people to get out of the resident line I showed my ID and they said I was fine Otherwise, you are right - it is not really an ID card with a picture!

The ID you refer to is a "person number" as it is translated from Dutch. You must have such a number in order to do things on the island such as getting auto insurance if you have a car. You will especially need one if you buy a home. You are identified by the tax office as an example with that number so that your ground rent tax notice can be sent to you. If you are going to buy a home on the island, get a car, get insurance, etc, you will need to apply for that person number at the tax office.

I have purchased land had a house built and receive my property taxes. With out this ID number etc.....
    However when I paid my taxes this past month I went and received my ID number.
    I was told it would add me to the census on the island.
    It also get discounts for golf and a discount for the national park and Depalm Island I have been told. I have not confirmed any of these discounts.
    But I am now getting concerned if having this number puts me at risk of the Arubean govt. of triing to collect income taxes when I am not living on the island full time.
    My neighbor received an income tax bill for a period of time when he didn't have his residency permit and his house wasn't complete. So I have to ask if this ID # had some thing to do with this bill.
    Let the Carnival Begin
    Mr Norman Paperman

Hi

The policy is if you live on Aruba under 6 months a year you do not have to sign up for residency and therefore are not subject to Aruba Income Tax.

Additionally if you do sign up for residency - there is a "double taxation" policy here which compares what you pay in the US verses the Aruban tax rate.
    If you income is in the US - the US rate comes first and you might have to pay the difference in the rates - say US is 28% and Aruba is 29% - you would have to pay 1% to Aruba. If it's higher in the US - than you pay nothing.

As of 2007, capital gains and interest is not taxable. But dividends are
    and there are standard deductions (not as much as the US) that you
    might be able to qualify for.

It is my understanding that timeshares are not deeded and are limited in time. So you would not be a "homeowner"
    I thought you could not own or build a home in aruba with out being a citizen? or brining in jobs? am i incorrect?

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Betty.
    Like said above timeshare is in general not property but a "right to use", so you would not be considered a homeowner.

Anyone can buy or build a home in Aruba. It is really easy to buy real estate here.

Carsten

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12