Aruba Beach

Thread: Aruban Passport Query

Aruban Passport Query

My wifes father was born in Aruba and came to live in the U.K in the 1960's. She was born in the UK. We have emailed DIMAS a number of times to find out whether she would be entitled to apply for an Aruban passport but (surprisingly) have got no reply..

Anyone ever obtained a Aruban passport by this route or know anyone who has? It might be an easier method rather than the applying for residency option...

Aruba since 1979
    you may be better off calling them?
    but since she is not aruban by birth, and a citizen of the UK, i don't see being able to apply for an aruban passport.
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant_guy View Post
    My wifes father was born in Aruba and came to live in the U.K in the 1960's. She was born in the UK. We have emailed DIMAS a number of times to find out whether she would be entitled to apply for an Aruban passport but (surprisingly) have got no reply..

Anyone ever obtained a Aruban passport by this route or know anyone who has? It might be an easier method rather than the applying for residency option...

Is there an Aruban passport? I thought they used the Dutch passport. If born in the UK does a EU passport assist in this process

Thanks Andrea...

Maybe the rules on the island are much stricter than elsewhere...

I am a British Citizen by birth, my father was born in the Republic of Ireland and has lived in the UK for 40 years. I am permitted to hold both a UK AND an Irish passport as his son despite not being born (or ever having lived) in Ireland.

Thought someone might have gone through the same process as regards Aruba and either been granted or refused a passport.

Might try ringing or making an appointment at DIMAS when I am next on the island.

Would welcome any views from anyone who might have gone through a similar Passport process as that which Mrs EG is thinking of..

Thanks Aquaman..

Now its just confusing....

Wikipedia... "Together with the Netherlands, the countries of Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten form the Kingdom of the Netherlands. As they share the same Dutch citizenship, these four countries still also share the Dutch passport as the Kingdom of the Netherlands passport. As Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten have small populations, the three countries had to limit immigration. To protect their population, they have the right to control the admission and expulsion of people from the Netherlands"

Different to general European Union passport rules I suspect. As a UK citizen (and member of the EU) I could simply move to Holland from here, rent a house, get a job etc with no Dutch passport, residency permit or anything else. Aruba clearly although appearing to have a "Kingdom of the Netherlands" passport has many other restrictions and does not afford other EU citizens the same rights as they would in Europe.