Aruba Beach

Thread: Arubean ID Card / Personal ID number

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Question Arubean ID Card / Personal ID number

A couple of weeks ago, on the day before returning home to Sweden, I bought a Quad Motorcycle in Oranjestad.
    The shop would then take it to the Motor office to have it registered in my name the next day.
    I had the answer back that it was not possible as I didn't have a Arubean Personal ID number (persoonsnummer), so they had to keep it in the retailers name for the time being.

Tierra del Sol Golf Club also requires an Arubean ID card in order to get the discount as a property owner on Aruba.

So my question is: Is it possible to get an Arubean ID number and/or an Arubean ID card, when you own property but are not a resident?

Secondly: Have you bought a car/motorcycle/boat etc on Aruba without this and how did you get it in your name?

I very much look forward to your replies.

Carsten

Carsten:
    I vaguely remember being asked for my personal number when registering my car but I'm afraid that I can't remember how it was resolved, but it was. You should definitely be able to have it registered in your own name.
    Hopefully, someone with a better memory than mine will reply to you.

Re Tierra Del Sol requiring an Aruban ID, they should be able to tell you how to deal with it as I'm sure this has come up with them before.
    Good luck!

Interested Also

i am really interested in someone with some more knowledge about this also. I know that I have asked the Divi golf course how to get the residence rate to golf and they said bringing in a bill (ie: water bill or the likes) with our name and aruba address on it should be enough. But i haven't actually tried this out yet.

In order to own a car and do other things on the island, you must have a Personal Aruban ID number. You must apply for this number at the government tax office. This number enables you to get license tags for your car and directly involved therewith auto insurance. Your id number identifies you to the government so if there is a problem, let us say with real estate taxes, this number is yours alone. There are other reasons for it but if you are going to buy a home on the island and have to deal with the government in a myriad of ways, you must get a number.

Yes, you can get the Persoon Number at the tax office. Go in the door and then to the left is another door, behind which is a narrow hall with sort of "interview booths" behind more doors there. That's where they take down your information to give you the number.

Last edited by SanNic44; 08-13-2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

What is required to get this number? We are in the process of building a home in Aruba and you are saying that I am required to get this number? Is it hard to obtain this number? Can I get it the same day? What paperwork is required? Do I need this number prior to opening a bank account? (We have all the required paperwork for the bank account).

I know that I have many questions regarding this number, but I want to be informed before I get there.

We will be on the island in three weeks and I would appreciate any additional information regarding this. Since we are going to be there, I guess it does not hurt to get one.

On a different note - I love this forum....there is so much to learn about a new country and this forum makes it so much easier.

Regards,
    David

I got this number with only my passport. I also took my paperwork from the notary that showed I owned a home (not just land but a house with a numbered address) and this may also be required.

I opened a bank account without a persoon nummer. That may have changed as I opened my bank account some years ago.

You do need the persoon nummer for the purchase of a car. It was not required for my house nor for the insurances.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info.

I am still waiting to receive your book from Amazon. Hopefully, I will have it within the next few weeks as it should be an excellent read on any beach in Aruba.

Regards,
    David

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I have already bought a house and opened bankaccount (Arubabank) and I didn't need the ID number for that.

I will head to the tax office next time, to get it for my Vehicle. How quickly did you get yours?.

Do the tax office also provide you with an Aruban photo ID??

Carsten

Smile ID number

Now I remember!!!
    It took only minutes to get the ID number. I was interviewed by a very pleasant young lady (through the doors at the left as you enter the car taxation place as SanNic describes) but do speak to the person at the information desk first as the person who interviews you has to come from an inner office.
    Now registering the car is an entirely different matter. I suggest you get there very early. The office doesn't open until 7:45am. I got there just after 7am and was handed number 64, yes there were 64 people in front of me. I think I got out around 9:30.
    Good luck,
    Stella