Aruba Beach

Thread: Builder refferal needed

Builder refferal needed

Hi,

My name is Rita, I am new on this forum. My husband and I would like to build a house in Aruba. I am looking for referrals for builders (general contractors), electricians, plumbers, any other trades. I have read the experiences with Better Homes, anybody having good/bad experiences with CasBon? Any other general contractor? Big or small. The big ones I can probably discover online, but the small ones usually is through referrals. Please PM.
    We have built/renovated before, North America and Europe, so we have experience, but not in Aruba.
    If you know somebody you trust and you think he/she is available next year, please PM with the details.

I will be in Aruba this weekend, staying 4 days only.

Thank you so much,
    Rita

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i have no experience with what you need but hopefully some of the others can help.
    i just wanted to say hello and welcome

Than you all so much. We are leaving Toronto tomorrow, I can barely wait to see Aruba again. I will keep you posted about the house, I always wanted to keep a journal about my renovations but never got enough time to do it.
    Hopefully, it won't look like that HGTV show, I believe it was called Renovation Realities , where people mostly didn't know what they were doing.

Thank you again,
    Rita

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    How exciting and brave! I love the show "House Hunting International" on HGTV, Aruba has been shown there as well a few years ago. But the homes shown were already built. Here is a link with some general info:

http://www.arubarealestate.com/aruba-building-a-home/

I definitely look forward to your posts and experience, CrazyForAruba. And hope it will not change into CrazyInAruba! LOL Good Luck, Rita!

CK1
    One more thing: When I was looking at homes online, I noticed that many were built on "lease land", even older homes. Here is some info I found when googling, but as you are soon in Aruba it would be probably very helpful to talk to some experts, like some real estate persons, IMO.

Non-residents can buy a house in Aruba!!

Very often we hear from our clients that they were told that non-residents cannot buy land or a home in Aruba. We can tell you that these stories are not true. All non-residents can buy land or a house in Aruba going throught the same process as the Aruban residents. They can buy a home on property land as well as on lease land.

Lease land
    Besides property land you can buy a house which is built on lease land. This land is owned by the Land of Aruba and the lease is for 60 years.

A yearly fee is paid for these lease rights. After the 60 years, the lease period will automaticalled be extended with another 60 years. The only thing that might happen when the lease period is extended is an increase in the yearly fee.

Most of the houses situated in Arashi, Malmok, Tierra del Sol, Topaz, Safir, Esmeralda, Ruby, Opal, Salinja Serca and Palm Beach are built on lease land. Many non-residents have bought there and will keep buying in those areas although the homes are built on lease land!
    The reason they keep buying houses in those areas is because of their locations. These areas are close to the spas, golf course, tennis courts and shopping malls. Another huge advantage is the distance to the ocean.

Condo projects
    Currently, there are several condo projects in development on Aruba. For more information about these projects, you can contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Taxes
    The most attractive fact when you are thinking of buying a house in Aruba is that the costs related to the ownership of a house or land are very low.

The only yearly tax you have to pay is called land tax. This land tax is usually based on the selling price. The first USD 34.000 is free of tax. On average you pay USD 4 per USD 1.000.

For example:
    Selling price of the house is USD 234.000.
    The land tax is calculated as follows: USD 234.000 - USD 34.000 = USD 200.000
    USD 200.000 / 1.000 = USD 200
    USD 200* 4 = USD 800 per year.

Closing Costs
    When you are considering buying a house in Aruba, you have to realize that there are additional costs involved besides the selling price.

These additional costs, the closing costs, are approximately 5 to 8 percent depending on the selling price. The closing costs are calculated as follows:

Transfertax (one time tax) 3 percent when selling price is < Afl. 250.000
    6 percent when selling price is > Afl. 250.000
    Notary fees transfer deed 1 percent of selling price
    Notary fees mortgage deed 1 percent of selling price

http://www.arubahouses.com/Useful_info.htm

CK1
    Another informative link when buying land/homes in Aruba:

FAQs:

http://www.mypropertyaruba.com/index.php/page/faqs.html