Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying/ building information

How is your home going so far? Bob is no longer with better homes. any feedback would be great as i am in the process of chosing a builder

Excellent and detailed notes started this thread and I have a few mentions worth mentioning. Building in Aruba can be a challenging experience, especially if you are not there through the process. While standards are good in Aruba, they are not US standards, especially when it comes to plumbing and electricity.

As for plumbing, be certain the plans include a proper septic if not connected to city sewer. The septics built in Aruba are mostly too small and drain fields are not properly laid out. The bigger the tank the better! And having the tank emptied is very reasonable, as of now 10fls per cubic meter.

As for plumbing, be sure the system is vented properly. If not, toilet flushes will create vacuum and empty the traps in a sink or other place and allow gases to enter the home. Anyone who tells you that vents aren't needed is an idiot.

Another plumbing issue: Beware of metric fittings and english ones combined. Some fancy faucets and such sold a the high-end supply houses by Ling are metric and you need to purchase fittings that will convert to english threads and such. Expensive, unnecessary and can be impossible to find. (Ex: Paid $32 for a shutoff valve that had it been english only would have been $3. Not the end of the world, unless you have 4 or 5 or more in a house.)

Further plumbing issue: Install shut off valves to each water use location, i.e. each bathroom, kitchen, outdoor and such. When you have to work on the plumbing its better to shut off one area than the entire house and this also prevents dirt, pathogens from entering the fresh water when under repair. Very cheap to install when building the house by the way.

ELECTRICITY: General rule is to leave plenty, at least 5-6 extra spaces in the breaker box on 110 volt side and at least 2-3 on the 220 volt side. You will always be happy to have these later and again, cheaper in the beginning.

Be certain the house is properly grounded! If there is no grounding rod and they have lazily connected you to the water line, you are not in compliance with the new regs and while you may not get zapped, why fool around. Grounding is essential. HAVE IT TESTED!

Beware of the 'speaker wire' some contractors are using and check the sizes of the wire. They use thinner gauge than in the US and I'm never comfortable with this. They also pull the strands through plastic conduit which can cause chafing of cheaply made wife. Upgrade and rest easy.

Leave extra outlets, cable TV runs, and other runs for security cameras, later additions and things you might think of later. Always CHEAPER before than after.

Just some notes. More to come.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Forgot to mention a power conditioner:

You may not want to invest in a "whole house" power conditioners that regulates the quality and voltage of the current coming into your house. But surge protectors and conditioners would be a good investment for computers, expensive appliances and such. This winter, my power was running above 125 volts most of the time. No big deal. But if there is an outage and then a surge when it comes on line. It could spike and bang! that fancy computer or fridge or something is toast. Similarly, low voltage is muy malo for electrical devices. Consult your professional electrician in the US or wherever you are and ask him to make a little plan for you home in Aruba.

Also, I have seen lightning hit the island and, again, electrical protection, conditioning, and grounding will save the day. Usually.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Now that this topic has it's own sub-forum, Moving to Aruba, which it did not have when this thread began, perhaps one of our kind moderators could move this thread to Moving to Aruba.

...Just torture to read about Moving to Aruba when we are unable to do so ourselves.

Thanks for all the helpful information in this thread. I'm about to build a house in Aruba and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on whether to purchase upvc windows or aluminium windows. Builders come highly recommended but they are very pricey and they only sell upvc. Extreme homes are cheaper and their regular windows are double insulated but they only sell aluminum windows. Can someone offer me advice on upvc versus aluminium windows and doors? Thanks!

We have a good builder he's done us proud , .Did go and see the work he did at Modanza ..As for Windows it's on a to do list. I look at everyone's windows in Aruba ,All the new and older houses , From what we can see because of the weather none fair to well, So it's not much help ,We cannot make our minds up either .The windows at Modanza are near new. PVC white they look good at the moment .But how will they last .
    http://www.homeaway.com/4118789
    Please visit our Homeaway site.
    Our lovely Aruba home is available for rent.

Yes, I checked out Modanza and the windows do look good. How will they fare is the big question. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding. Thanks for your response.

It might or might not help...But I have the same windows in our Apartment to be , I know they are at least 4/5 years old ,
    they are still fine as we will re use them ,Move them around a bit ...But unlike our house Windows which are sliding metal
    we have Mossie screens on them ,,But the others open out so cannot do the screens ..Sorry I am not technical.
    We also have a few wood ones. They did look lovely and we where going to change them all for wood ,but now Dont think so ,
    Good luck because we are the same which!
    http://www.homeaway.com/4118789
    Please visit our Homeaway site.
    Our lovely Aruba home is available for rent.

After doing some more research, I think I'll go with the upvc windows. Thanks for your response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12