Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a car

Buying a car

I have just moved here to work. Bought a scooter, only to find that I need a scooter license (a first for any country I have visited so far). Now I need to try and sell the scooter and buy a car... any tips welcome. I see loads by the road, but can I go somewheer that will be reliable and give me good value?
    Thanks!

If you check with past posts or with Lizzardo she has a nice used car for sale. If you can drive standard the vehicle is a good deal

We bought our van (they had regular cars) at the Ford/Mitsubishi dealer on Irasquin (prob. spelled wrong). Is near the CMB insurance office, etc.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Just be aware of this:

If you buy a used car and it is a former rental, you better know a good mechanic.

All cars here have a lot of wear and tear due to the sun and the salt (and roads), so I would never buy a new car here.

I bought a car of a brand that no longer have a dealer on the island, big mistake, it is a nightmare to find even the simplest parts for it.

So I would recommend:

Dont buy new and dont buy too old. something like 2004 would be the oldest I would consider (depends on car and wallet of course).

Buy a brand that is common here such as Chevrolet, Toyota, Ford, Kia etc.

Do your best to make sure that it is not a former rental.

Expect the car to be way more expensive at a dealer than a private sale, but it is your only chance to get some kind of warranty, so you have to make a choice here.

http://www.arubamatch.com for private sales
    http://www.4salearuba.com for both

http://s2.arubayp.com/sys/pageserver...o=car&pa=Aruba for dealers.

Try to take if for a test drive to a local mechanic and let him lift it up to give it a quick check.

And oh, whatever you do, a car is ALWAYS a bad investment .

Carsten

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    Hey, you already have the scooter! Why dont you just get your license to drive it? All it is is an upgrade from yur drivers license. A lot cheaper than buying a car. And, hey if you already know hiow to ride it than its a plus to you!!! The upkeep is les expensive and you get more miles for the gas than a regiular car. I would keep the scooter and just get m9 lic and be done with it. Good luck!!!

Thanks for all the comments......

Yeah, I would like to keep the scooter, but I can't get a license without a work permit. The work permit will not be til February at least and in the meantime I am not insured! Unless anyone knows where I can get insurance without a license....?

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Are u sure about this? Who told you?

I asked at the Harley Davidson store about getting a license for motorcycle and that was no problem at all even as a tourist.

So if I were you, I would double check.

Carsten

Well, I went to the police station at St Cruz to get the license as the insurance company directed and they said I have to have a work permit. Not really sure how I would double-check this as they are the ones who issue the licenses. Ideas welcome! :-)

You can drive in Aruba with a US drivers license and get insurance as well. There are many Americans (and i'm sure Canadians) who live on the island periodically and have cars, don't have residency permits and don't have Aruban drivers licenses. Insurance companies will insure you if you have a valid US driver's license. In order to get a reduction in your insurance rate, they
    will ask for a letter from your insurance company stating the last time you
    got into an accident/accident history.

If you don't have any other country's drivers licenses at all - then you have a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast