Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a car

Thanks Lizzardo. It's the scooter license that is the problem. I have a european drivers license, but not the scooter bit. This is the first place I have been that I need a specific scooter license! As a result, I am going to have to sell me scooter and buy a car!

That's pretty interesting because I had a scooter there, got it registered and insured and didn't have an Aruban license at that point. All I had was a US drivers license with no 'motorcycle' (or anything else) designation. They must
    have changed the rule lately.

You might want to go to a shop that sells them and ask them a few questions. They would know for sure.

Perhaps (and I'm just supposing) they changed the rules because of the number of scooter/motorcycle accidents.

air flow car

I bought a Smart Car and, THREE DAYS after the purchase, I learned about the Air Flow [it runs on compressed air.] now, THAT'S a car I would love to have!

it was developed in France and hasn't reached the US yet. when it does, no matter how long I've had my current car, I plan to jump ship and get an Air Flow.

does anyone here know about those and whether or not there is any plan to import them to Aruba? I'm contemplating moving there - and selling my car first rather than shipping it. I could probably get by with a scooter or some such alternate method of transport until I could get an air car - assuming they came in fairly quickly.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    It will often be a better choice to bring your car if you move here and have owned it more than 6 month. You will then be able to import it without the high tax on cars an will likely be able to sell it with a profit once here, so maybe think twice about that one.

Carsten

Sorry I am jumping in to a conversation that has been going on for a while but I noticed did you say something about "if you own a vehicle more than 6 months" relating to the tax to bring in a vehicle? We are currently in the "buy in Aruba" or "bring our 10 year old jeep" over stage. We think easier to buy but our jeep is great and would be a great vehicle for us on the island.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    The tax free 6 months rule only applies if you are permanently moving to Aruba = that you obtained residency first.

Carsten

Cars are expensive on the island. When we priced a new Suburu Forrester, it was about 75% more than in the states plus they wanted the money upfront and it would have taken 6 months to get one. Plus they were the European version. It's very important to find out if a car is European, US or Caribbean version. The
    Caribbean version of the cars have much less safety standards and not as good as the US or EU version....

Thanks for the information Lizzardo. We have thought about your car being that we are fans of Suburau also but aren't planning on purchasing any sooner than winter 2011. I will remember what you said about the cars. Being Canadian we may not notice the price difference as much though. Certainly don't when it comes to groceries.

We actually miss the variety in the food stores in Aruba than where we are in the states. Plus we loved the chicken and Argentinean beef alot - much more flavor to them. We miss the variety of juices too!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast