Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mmattalo

Thread: Buying a house is the area okay?

Buying a house is the area okay?

Hello
    We just made an offer in a house located near the texaco gas station, the street is called caya tumba...I would like to know if the area is okay, I understand there are break ins in the island and its common there but I would like to know if the area is fine to live in, regarding location...all opinnions welcome

Not familiar with that street specifically and I have not heard really of any areas to steer completely clear of . . . but I would strongly encourage you to do your homework before making any significant purchase such as a home (anywhere, not just Aruba). It is not just about security, but also about how neighborly it is, whether you want to live more as a local or a tourist, and how re-salable the home will be down the road (location, location, location) . . .
    Our homeowning experience on Aruba has been without incident (although we do live in TDS which is more of a gated community). A suggestion is to install some wireless webcams you can monitor activity remotely (with photos sent to you when there is motion detection), a security system which can monitor and breaches, and have someone local you can trust to maintain your home . . . this is just practical anywhere, not just in Aruba. Michael
    Last edited by mmattalo; 05-07-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    good advice
    although some neighborhoods are more upscale than others, do your checking and homework ..........lots of houses, lots of neighborhoods, so many choices.

will you have a security system?
    are you happy with location's proximity to beach? downtown? neighbors friendly and helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by mmattalo View Post
    Not familiar with that street specifically and I have not heard really of any areas to steer completely clear of . . . but I would strongly encourage you to do your homework before making any significant purchase such as a home (anywhere, not just Aruba). It is not just about security, but also about how neighborly it is, whether you want to live more as a local or a tourist, and how re-salable the home will be down the road (location, location, location) . . .
    Our homeowning experience on Aruba has been without incident (although we do live in TDS which is more of a gated community). A suggestion is to install some wireless webcams you can monitor activity remotely (with photos sent to you when there is motion detection), a security system which can monitor and breaches, and have someone local you can trust to maintain your home . . . this is just practical anywhere, not just in Aruba. Michael

Tds

Hello Michael
    I will be moving into TDS in July maybe we can play a few rounds of golf together?

Banned
    Chama: We just spent a week in a rental on Tumba...on the back cul-de-sac. It was nice, and it felt safe. But please take the advice of the forum crew. Get a good security system, and keep the house as occupied as possibe. No where is 100% safe from crime.

Thanks to all ..we will definitely look up for a good security system or company in the island.If anyone knows one let me know!