Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cost of living in Aruba for a couple with a 5 year old?

Cost of living in Aruba for a couple with a 5 year old?

Hello everyone,
    things are moving for us so hopefully next year this time I will be posting from the island
    I was wondering if anyone would like to share ideas about cost of living in Aruba .We are looking to know more about this because some say it is not as expensive as in Canada but some others say that is has become quite expensive.
    We are in our late 30ies and we have 5 year old son and some pets.We don't go out too much maybe once or twice a week and we are looking to have a nice decent life nothing extravagant here.
    Any thoughts are appreciated,
    Thank you
    Simona

Aruba since 1979
    i will forward this link to a few forum members that i know of that have children at home (in aruba)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonaV View Post
    Hello everyone,
    things are moving for us so hopefully next year this time I will be posting from the island
    I was wondering if anyone would like to share ideas about cost of living in Aruba .We are looking to know more about this because some say it is not as expensive as in Canada but some others say that is has become quite expensive.
    We are in our late 30ies and we have 5 year old son and some pets.We don't go out too much maybe once or twice a week and we are looking to have a nice decent life nothing extravagant here.
    Any thoughts are appreciated,
    Thank you
    Simona
    I would say the cost of living is similar to Toronto.

Simona

As you know, we maintain a life in Canada and Aruba. I assume you are asking for a comparasion between Ontario and Aruba. After 10yrs of living in both jurisdictions here are some if my thoughts. Car insurance is about 10% of cost here, house insurance about 30% the cost, property taxes about 30%, over the counter Meds about 80% less. There are other costs that are comparable....monitoring of security systems is higher, as for water and electricity I suggest you leave your newborn as collateral. Food costs at supermarkets is very similar to Ontario, but with a wider choice. Gasoline is higher but unpredictable as the price is set by the Govt.

on on projects I have done with building, the labour costs have been lower but these are offset by the cost of the materials which are imported and therefore generally higher.

Medical visits ( for small things ) are generally cheaper for those not covered by insurance in Canada. Same for dentists and Eye doctors

hope to see you folks later in the year

aq

Aruba since 1979
    hahahaha good one john "leave your newborn as collateral"

re: the electricity, many folks only run their airco at night in the bedrooms and count on mother nature's tradewinds to do the rest of the house with windows open.

i have been told by numerous residents that the water and the electric fees are "outrageous"
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Simona

As you know, we maintain a life in Canada and Aruba. I assume you are asking for a comparasion between Ontario and Aruba. After 10yrs of living in both jurisdictions here are some if my thoughts. Car insurance is about 10% of cost here, house insurance about 30% the cost, property taxes about 30%, over the counter Meds about 80% less. There are other costs that are comparable....monitoring of security systems is higher, as for water and electricity I suggest you leave your newborn as collateral. Food costs at supermarkets is very similar to Ontario, but with a wider choice. Gasoline is higher but unpredictable as the price is set by the Govt.

on on projects I have done with building, the labour costs have been lower but these are offset by the cost of the materials which are imported and therefore generally higher.

Medical visits ( for small things ) are generally cheaper for those not covered by insurance in Canada. Same for dentists and Eye doctors

hope to see you folks later in the year

aq

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hahahaha good one john "leave your newborn as collateral"

re: the electricity, many folks only run their airco at night in the bedrooms and count on mother nature's tradewinds to do the rest of the house with windows open.

i have been told by numerous residents that the water and the electric fees are "outrageous"
    FYI........since this past May, the combined water bills for the 2 villas are averaging $1400US per month. We have had the systems checked and there are no leaks. We did catch a guy parked in our carport using our hose and washing his car!!!

Aruba since 1979
    that is not only outrageous it is larceny!
    FYI........since this past May, the combined water bills for the 2 villas are averaging $1400US per month. We have had the systems checked and there are no leaks. We did catch a guy parked in our carport using our hose and washing his car!!!

Andrea J. Thank you!

John ,thank you see you soon!
    S

Wow... that does seem like it is high. For my home in Aruba, I average $100.00 per month for water. That is with irrigation set for 30 minutes each day for landscaping and trees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast