Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few questions about moving to Aruba

a few questions about moving to Aruba

I spent quite some time going through all the threads and came to the conclusion that getting a job for an American citizen is quite tough, but then I came across one thread in which someone had posted a link to a new bill acknowledging that current conditions breach some kind of Dutch/American truce. If someone could please clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Another question, and it seems pretty much everyone is asking this one, is what sort of work would be available for me. I am a computer guy and my skills rang from networking to IT to HTML. I'm planning on moving about a year from now, by which point I would have finished all the computer school I want, for now. If those skills aren't in demand but others are, I can learn very quickly, as I am kind of a computer geek. I am also a musician and can produce virtually any style of music. I have a very impressive record in this field, especially with electronic music, as I have tracks I've produced in heavy rotation on popular UK radio stations such as Radio1 and Frequency 88, also signed to Rollin Soundz Records UK (mid level drum'n'bass distribution label). With that said, I'm sure there is no market for exactly that sort of thing, but I could be very useful in doing sound editing/composition projects for TV ads, tourism promotions, radio, etc., as I use industry standard and professional computer software, including an extensive knowledge of Native Instruments products.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all your replies.

-Phil
    Last edited by JunglistDJ; 03-17-2009 at 02:52 PM.

One thing that is often listed is to have English, Dutch and Papimento. Sometimes spanish too. Those languages are all used so you might want to start learning these languages....

I saw that those languages are requirments in most of these threads. Unfortunately, Roseta Stone do not offer Papimento as a language, luckily I used to live in Germany so I can pick up Dutch fairly quickly. However, I was simply asking if my skills would be desired skills on the island. Obviously to succeed in any country you need to be able to speak the language, hence this is not what I was asking. Also, my friend that would be making the move with me is a GM/Chevy mechanic, so i was wondering if Aruba has need for an experienced GM mechanic.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    All I have to say is, they really don't want anyone over there that would take a job away from them, understandably. Don't expect to be welcomed with open arms....

Papimento is actually considered a "dialect" verses a language due to the lack of words. There are not a lot of people who speak it in the world - but it is ness. because it is a used if not preferred language here. If you are going to do anything that deals with the public - you need those languages.

Dutch is the "official" or legal language here. English I would say is the tourist language. Spanish is used for other latin americans here. But papimento is
    THE language to know. I have taken some courses and it's a mixture of a lot of different languages. Knowing even a little of it goes a long way.

I would actually love to hear some details about the Dutch American Friendship Treaty JunglistDJ mentioned in his first post if anyone has any information. Does this in any way make it easier for Americans to live/work in Aruba? I know the court case was settled pretty recently.

Not sure if it is the case you cite but the work permit system was that you could only stay on the island for 3 years, couldn't bring your family and had to leave after that.

Can you provide more information on the case?

They changed that for Americans - I believe because so the management and US staff at the hotels could stay longer.

Aruba has a very competitive music industry here. Don't think that would be a real "in". I would say to visit the island, look around for something and see what kind of reaction you get. Face to face interaction is the best way to find out for yourself if it's a good fit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by danE View Post
    I would actually love to hear some details about the Dutch American Friendship Treaty JunglistDJ mentioned in his first post if anyone has any information. Does this in any way make it easier for Americans to live/work in Aruba? I know the court case was settled pretty recently.
    Lincoln Gomez had written about the treaty in his blog last summer. Perhaps contact their law office for exact details.
    http://www.gobiklaw.com/

I'm actually in the process of hiring them to obtain work/residence permits. I will let you know how that goes.

I spoke with an American citizen/resident Aruban while I was down last week and he told me a very different story than what I have read online. He told me that employers seek out Americans on the island as our collective work ethic is stronger than some of the other available workers. He also suggested a method for moving and finding employment that sounds reasonably easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast