Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Got a job offer. Need info about schooling and housing please.

Question Got a job offer. Need info about schooling and housing please.

Hello. I'm new to the forum.

I've got a job offer for Aruba, for 300k guilder (gross) a year. It's twice what I currently earn, but I'm thinking it through a lot.

My goal would be to work and live there for many years or until my retirement, if possible.

My main concern is schooling. I'm an EU citizen, living in the EU right now. I have two children who excel academically and I'm concerned about the level of education they may get in the island. The only information I find on the Internet is about the private schools, and after doing some numbers it looks like the whole salary advantage I'd get from moving would be spent on those, which is a no-no. Here in Europe they go to public schools.

So: What should I expect about the public schools or the affordable private ones in Aruba? I'd like my children to at the very least get an education that's recognised elsewhere in case they want to come back to Europe for university studies. It would be very advantageous for them to have a knowledge of both English and Dutch, as well: It may open them some doors.

Second question is housing. I've scanned around the real state webpages, but they are not very user friendly. How much would it cost to rent a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a backyard (for a BBQ) in a decent neighbourhood? I've seen a lot of price ranges, but I don't know whether the zones are nice or not.

Also, I'll have to do some paperwork from time to time (passport, etc.) and the most similar thing to a consulate is in Curaçao. Is it true that the only way to go is via a 200-300 dollar flight per person? Are there no boats or ferrys?

I don't mind living in an island as long as my children get an education that allows them to apply for an academic future abroad and as long as I have a home to enjoy the day-to-day with my family with enough money remaining to spend by travelling abroad on vacation. As far as I have read, there's plenty of products from many parts of the world (albeit, at a price), and Amazon can send lots of things as well.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Right now It's very complicated for me to make a decision.

Best regards.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i have moved this to the "moving to aruba" category as many folks in this category are not tourists...where as most of the others are toruist related.

good luck in getting answers.

many of my aruba friends send their children to the dutch schools.

there are no ferrys to curaçao.

your new employer ...helpful to any of these questions?

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a nice problem to consider. There is an American lady that does a blog from Aruba. Her name is Tammy and her blog can be found here: https://zislandlife.wordpress.com/ I believe I read that her daughters do on-line schooling. Maybe that would be an option? I'm sure she would help explain what she can if you were to reach out to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i have moved this to the "moving to aruba" category as many folks in this category are not tourists...where as most of the others are toruist related.

good luck in getting answers.

many of my aruba friends send their children to the dutch schools.

there are no ferrys to curaçao.

your new employer ...helpful to any of these questions?
    Thanks . Unfortunately the employer has little to no information about schools, nor do the people I happen to know there (they don't have children, the wise guys).

You mention the dutch schools. I have found very little information, and while my wife has seen a price of about 6k dollars a year, which would be affordable, I have seen estimates of 5 times that much.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a nice problem to consider. There is an American lady that does a blog from Aruba. Her name is Tammy and her blog can be found here: https://zislandlife.wordpress.com/ I believe I read that her daughters do on-line schooling. Maybe that would be an option? I'm sure she would help explain what she can if you were to reach out to her.
    Thanks. I'll post a question at the blog. Hope she can shed some light on it. Homeschooling would be nice, but the issue of international recognition si still there and also they wouldn't be immersed in Dutch or English.

Keep in touch.

Congrats on the job posting to Aruba. School wise I'm sure that the International School came up, but that is for sure highly expensive. There may be a few local private schools that you could check out if you're kids are not fluent in Dutch. The only other option that I could think of would be homeschooling via on-line programs or with a tutor. Hopefully something comes up.

Aruba since 1979
    here is the "international" school that vallond mentioned
    http://www.isaruba.com/page.cfm?p=502

the aruban public schools , the main language spoken is papiamento
    the dutch schools, main language is dutch
    the international school, main language is english

what language/s do you children speak?

Congrats on the offer and welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum! I would hope the new employer would be able to put you in touch with a trusted real estate agent at the very least. Good luck!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

My first thought/comment before erasing it yesterday was how old are your children? Older kids will really struggle to pick up Dutch, papiamento is easier if you have a knowledge of Spanish. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    here is the "international" school that vallond mentioned
    http://www.isaruba.com/page.cfm?p=502

the aruban public schools , the main language spoken is papiamento
    the dutch schools, main language is dutch
    the international school, main language is english

what language/s do you children speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    My first thought/comment before erasing it yesterday was how old are your children? Older kids will really struggle to pick up Dutch, papiamento is easier if you have a knowledge of Spanish. Best of luck!
    My children are 8 and 10. I'd like them to speak Dutch and English, but yes, they may start on papiamento. I have been able to read it, but I've heard some YouTube videos and it's difficult to understand firsthand.

Andrea had a great question as well, what languages can you and your children speak currently? Dutch is like a whole new animal and its incredibly hard to learn at our age. Your children will be able to pick it up if they have help.

Quote Originally Posted by mipial View Post
    My children are 8 and 10. I'd like them to speak Dutch and English, but yes, they may start on papiamento. I have been able to read it, but I've heard some YouTube videos and it's difficult to understand firsthand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast