Aruba Beach

Thread: Hello. New to Forum and have questions regarding buying property

Smile Hello. New to Forum and have questions regarding buying property

I am interested in buying a property in Aruba for vacations and perhaps to use as a part year retirement home.

1) What are the advantages/disadvantages of long lease property vs property land?

2) Are there any "bad" areas(high crime/flood zones) not to buy real estate?

3) I am a US and soon to be Italian Dual Citizen. Are there any advantages in entering Aruba or buying property as an EU Citizen over a US Citizen?

Thanks.

Does anyone own any property on long lease land? Are the long lease fees in addition to property taxes?

Yes I have a townhouse condo on leased land. I pay approx 850.00 per year and my property tax are approx 1200.00 Any property near the ocean is leased. If you go inland you would own the land. Look for a gated community, lots of B&E's. As far as purchasing a property you pay the same no matter what your citizenship is. If you ship in furniture there is approx 20% import tax. Good luck with your travels!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. So long lease land has a fee in addition to property taxes. This is good to know when considering a property. Also you say that there a lot of B&E's in Aruba?

I'm confused about the fees on long lease land. I wrote a realtor about a property that caught my interest. Anyway to make a long story short, he told me that no other taxes were levied in addition to the long lease fee. I thought you had to pay twice with leased land?

Disregard my last post. The realtor got confused, as it appears that English is not his native language. There are taxes in addition to long lease fees on properties in Aruba. So it looks like long lease land is indeed more expensive to own.