Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Help Starting a Business at Aruba

Some Tips

Hi All,

Allow me to put this under the suggestion tree one day before Christmas.

As much as I have problems with the word L A W Y E R S - they are certainly the ones that know how to go about specific things. Find one you trust and can talk to. This is a priority task

Not to over simplify, but if my best American friend were going to open a business on Aruba, I would have him do the following:

#1 Thorough business plan and not a BS sheet about how good this and that blah blah. Make sure that this plan includes legal expenses as well as travel and lodging.
    Why - In the long run, you will need bankers, even if only for a credit card machine, and they need and love substantial documents.

#2 A separate statement on the economic impact of the proposed business. Here I refer to creating jobs, taxes to be paid, benefits to locals.

#3 A separate statement on the benefits to tourism (Short and long run).
    Why - Sooner or later you will go for approval to a government agency and this information is what they like to see.

#4 State specifically how you will be promoting your business and what venues you will use.
    Why? - Many more businesses than we would like to think have gone bust due to poor marketing.

#5 - Find a Point person you can rely on. This is the guy that does all of the running back and forth of documents and keeps you informed at all times on what is going on. This is a person that is NOT a lawyer but knows them and is NOT a banker but knows them and DOES NOT work in the chamber of commerce but knows how to file the papers and get things moving and lastly this is a person that does NOT work in DIMAS but knows the people there. The amount of money you will save in trips, lodging etc is enormous. One of the things that you will notice about working with such a person is that the process continues to give you plenty of time to re-evaluate or modify the decision without being mixed up in the heat of battle.

#6 Lastly - have some strong "sit-down conversations" with yourself regarding the true reasoning for wanting to start a business on Aruba or any island. In the short, mid and long run - BUSINESS IS BUSINESS AND IT REARS THE SAME LOVELY AND UGLY HEAD EVERYWHERE. If you you have the slightest thoughts that this is a "Jimmy Buffet" thing to do .... Pull out and don't spend your money on WANNABE situations that require investment.

Sorry about that last statement, but it comes from the heart.

If you would like to have further conversations on this topic, feel free to mail me at croesconsult@gmail.com or to call me at 011-297-730-0001

If you know of someone that would be interested in buying functioning business, feel free to let me know as well. This is sometimes the easiest entrance into our small economic and business world.

be well and have a great holidays

charles

Quote Originally Posted by sannic44 View Post
    jerrie,
    It is one thing to be a visitor and quite another to be an operator. Frequently things are not as described, even if it is in writing. Interpretations vary widely, especially when translating from dutch to english and north american business concepts and caribbean business concepts..................

very wise indeed

Help Starting a Business at Aruba

Hi! I am Lea, and I live in Seattle, WA, USA. My husband and I are hopeful to move to Aruba in 5-10 years and operate our own business. I would love to hear anyone's stories and experiences for similar situations...I don't know much about moving there, working there or owning a business there.

Just know I love it and having been all over the Caribbean, it feels like home!

Lea,
    I am sure you will get great info on this forum....I have been trying to talk Dh into moving to Aruba for a few years, but now think buying a house and staying the winter months might have more appeal to him.....I could stay all the time and he can come visit whenever him wants..!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Welcome to the forum There are tons of posts and advice here in this category http://www.aruba.com/forum/f34/ on moving to and opening a business in Aruba. Good luck.

Junior Member norecollectionmike's Avatar

Help Starting a Business at Aruba

We love Aruba and are thinking about moving to and starting a small business in Aruba. Does anyone have first hand experience with establishing a small business in Aruba that they would like to share?

We design websites...

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the forum.
    i figure this "moving to aruba" location is the best location for the thread.

Smile Help Starting a Business at Aruba

hello guys, well im plannig to start a jetski rental business in Aruba, im looking for information about it if it is well paid this business. im from Venezuela, if anyone can help me pls! need all the info about prices, taxs, conditions and terms, permissions, etc. sorry about my english! thanks!

You need to be inquiring directly with the Aruba Chamber of Commerce and not on an Aruba bulletin board that is mainly full of tourists. Website below:

http://www.arubachamber.com/business-in-aruba
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    Business ownership in Aruba
    check out about thread.
    contact aruba dept of immigration aka DIMAS
    as well as the chamber link that amy provided.

welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

QUOTE=ces1704;210617]hello guys, well im plannig to start a jetski rental business in Aruba, im looking for information about it if it is well paid this business. im from Venezuela, if anyone can help me pls! need all the info about prices, taxs, conditions and terms, permissions, etc. sorry about my english! thanks![/QUOTE]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast