Aruba Beach
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hey guys, me again. Question about working on the island...

  1. #1
    Junior Member ollockr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17

    Question Hey guys, me again. Question about working on the island...

    Is it allowable to have more than one job in Aruba if you're an ex patriot?

    I'm just about to start going through the process of applying for my work papers with International School of Aruba as my "sponsor(?)"

    I have years of bar tending and watering experience from when I was in college so I was wondering if I could hold both a full time job through ISA and a part time job (just weekends) through a bar/restaurant on the Island.

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,897
    wow, that is a good question
    i am sure it is allowable to work 2 jobs
    but, honestly there you will be hard pressed to find that 2nd job due to the hiring and working regulations.

    i look forward to reading all of the responses

    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by ollockr View Post
    Is it allowable to have more than one job in Aruba if you're an ex patriot?

    I'm just about to start going through the process of applying for my work papers with International School of Aruba as my "sponsor(?)"

    I have years of bar tending and watering experience from when I was in college so I was wondering if I could hold both a full time job through ISA and a part time job (just weekends) through a bar/restaurant on the Island.

    Thanks guys!

  3. #3
    Senior Member lizzardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    961
    I think bartending and waitering are "hot" jobs for arubans - with tourism going down it will prob. be harder to find that kind of job.

    But you're best bet is just to check things out when you come down - you never know what might come your way....

  4. #4
    Junior Member ollockr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17
    I'm not really limiting myself to bartending/waitering jobs. I'll be happy doing anything really. I just would like to make a couple extra bucks a month so that way I can actually do some of the fun things the island has to offer. I mean, I have a pretty decent size chunk of money saved up but I would like to save that for a house possibly.

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,897
    how about private tutoring?

    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by ollockr View Post
    I'm not really limiting myself to bartending/waitering jobs. I'll be happy doing anything really. I just would like to make a couple extra bucks a month so that way I can actually do some of the fun things the island has to offer. I mean, I have a pretty decent size chunk of money saved up but I would like to save that for a house possibly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    If you have a Masters degree and reliable internet connection you can easily teach for an online University from your new home. It makes for an excellent second source of income.

  7. #7
    Junior Member ollockr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17
    I'll start looking into that Lisa! That's a very good idea. I have my M.S. in Education, B.S. in Applied Mathematics, and my AP Statistics & Calculus certification. Have any suggestions of where I should start looking?

    I will also plan on putting out flyers for private tutoring. I figured though with the state of the worlds economy parents woudln't be able to afford hiring me, even if I lower my rates.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by ollockr View Post
    I'll start looking into that Lisa! That's a very good idea. I have my M.S. in Education, B.S. in Applied Mathematics, and my AP Statistics & Calculus certification. Have any suggestions of where I should start looking?
    Dh has a M.S. in Special Education (PK-12) and works the below to supplement our family income, AND interact with adults. Because of his "life experience" he teaches mainly computer technology and English courses. One school he is teaching "life skills". Gosh if you don't know them by college...but that is a subject for another day.

    Good luck in your endeavor. I don't know when you will be arriving on the island, but we'll be there 6/17 - 6/29 and if you stopped by the Tamarijn, I am sure dh wouldn't mind sharing his knowledge with you. He's been with Axia (UOP) for over 4 years.

    http://www.phoenix.edu/faculty/become_a_faculty_member.html

    Axia College of University of Phoenix http://www.phoenix.edu/faculty/become_a_faculty_member/become_an_axia_faculty_member.html - easier to get a job than University of Phoenix. Once you are hired you can only work for one or the other. Pay with Univ. of Phoenix is slightly better, but there is MUCH more work available with Axia because their tution is MUCH lower, thus many more students. So in other words, you will be working on a volume.

    Grantham http://www.grantham.edu/about/jobs.php - new, don't have their act together, but pay is decent and if a job is a job...

    South University http://online.southuniversity.edu/ - excellent pay, new to online edu as well, but seems to have their act together better than Grantham.

  9. #9
    Junior Member ollockr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    17
    Thank you sooo much Lisa! You are awesome! I will look into all of this as soon as I get some other stuff straightened out. I think I am really going to pursue the online teaching thing as a last resort. The more I think about it I will just end up doing some private tutoring as a source of supplemental income. If that falls through I will do the online thing. I'm guessing math teachers with my qualifications are pretty tough to come by on the Island. Even here in the states they are really desperate for math teachers.

    As of right now I won't be on the Island until the end of July so I will miss you by a couple of weeks.

    Thanks again for the links!

    ~Ryan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO