Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Internet???

High Speed Internet???

Good Day to all. I will be moving very soon to the beautiful Aruba island, Can anyone tell me if high speed internet is on the island and can we get it in our homes there?

Aruba since 1979
    YUP there is
    contact SETAR

andrea

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

You can get it via ADSL or Cable.
    It is a very stable connection in general compared to most countries.
    It is quite expensive, at least compared to the leading countries when it comes to Internet connections.
    If you need a lot of upload you will have a problem, since they all have very low upload bandwidth, but download is pretty good, starting at 2MB.
    It will normally take you a couple of week from order to installation.
    Setar more or less have monopoly. Good service, but as said high price and poor upload speeds.

Carsten

Agreeing with previous post, the connection is fairly good and upload speed is a little slow. Still, I've actually had good service with SETAR and paid a year in advance and got a month free, which did help cut the price a wee bit.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Upload speed is slow? So is it like dial up or are we talking better, just not as fast as cable in the USA? Also about how much a month are we talking in USD. Thanks everyone.

I am paying 99afl or $56.50 per month for the Cablenet Comfort package. They claim speeds of 2048 download and 192 upload. This is much slower than what I am used to (I have a T-1 line in the U.S. ) but it is acceptable for the times I have used it.

Their package prices are listed here http://www.cta.aw/index.php?option=c...d=88&Itemid=75

Regards,

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

Don't know about dial-up, since I have not used it since the 90'ties.
    Cablenet is actually also powered by Setar, so in the end it is the same backbone they use.
    I am back on Aruba tomorrow and will then go to Setar to hear about their new package ( I Also have the Cablenet 2MB/192K for afl 99/month now).

Setar now has an Adsl 4MB/256K for the same price. I will go and check with them next week, but if it is same quality and uptime it is certainly a better deal.

Carsten

P.S. Setar ASDL starts at us$ 29 per month, but it is SLLLOOOOWWW. 128K/128K
    Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 06-11-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Ha, yah Im not saying I want dial up I was asking if it was slow like dial up ha. Thank you schnauzerjoy for the info let me know if you find any other great deals. Also I have heard from people here in the USA that you can bring Vonage or that new Magic jack thing to the island and be able to talk to USA with that, anyone know if that is true?

I use Skype with my internet service and the voice quality is excellent. It only cost 2cents per minute to call the States from Aruba.

Regards,

I have vonage here and it works great. It's funny because some people in the states say they have problems with vonage there - but no big problems w/ it here.

As with any phone app here or in the US - don't download a huge file or bring up a huge website while your on the phone because that can interfere w/ the quality of the phone call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast