Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Burglaries in Aruba

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!

Thanks for the post and your dilligence

I just bought a place in Aruba less than a month ago. Although it came with a security system, I had heard about the rash of break-ins through friends that also live on the island (Hi Liz!).

One precaution I've taken is to never give my property address when renting a car; I'll give them Marriott, Westin, Hyatt, anything but my property. I've also instructed our Property Manager not to have a Google Map to our adreess or to post the address on their website. All that said, I'm still very nervouse we'll eventually be broken into.

Our Realtor was broken into twice in one week when she also went to dinner with her husband on each night. This was in early Dec and she lives by Spahn Lagoon, so it's happening all over and to locals as well.

UPDATE:

I have not heard much form the police as of this date (106 days since my burglary), but I did hear from Nilton Larie of the Diario newspaper. He stated that they were going to run my story in their paper. Maybe the detectives will now do a through and complete investigation not only with my burglary, but for all of the other burglaries occurring in Aruba. (It is a shame that it has to come to this).

I am still waiting to hear from Maritza Lacle of the Aruba Tourism Authority and from the U.S. Consulate’s Office.

Regards,

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    David, keep us posted. I hope all works out for you.

It is a shame as a retired Lt they could not show you the basic respect of open communication.

Hi David,

Your story is in today's Diario. Hope it helps find the person who burglarized your home.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    At the time of my burglary, I did not have a security system.

At this time, I have a system with many different layers of security. I have perimeter sensors, outdoor infrared beams, electronic security gates, window sensors, indoor motion sensors, internet security cameras, etc.
    I too own a condo on the island. When I was looking to purchase property I decided to go with a condo instead of a house because I had heard that Aruba had many home breaks. I had figured that with a condo, there is always someone close by. I installed an alarm system that makes lot of noise, hopefully one of my neighbors would hear all the racket and call the police. I still feel the island is safe and that is the main reason we purchased there. Sorry you had to go through all of that trouble.
    Tim

UPDATE:

My story has been printed in the Diario newspaper today. Hopefully, this will force the hand of the police to conduct a proper investigation and to at least contact me with the status of the investigation.

I want to personally thank Nilton Larie of the Diario newspaper for keeping his word that he would print my story.

I am still waiting for a response from Maritza Lacle of the Aruba Tourism Authority and from the U.S. Consulate's Office.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    Glad to hear that the Diario ran the story.
    I do not know martina lacle at the ata office.
    What role can martina and the ata play in your situation?

So nilton fulfilled his promise of getting the word out.
    I am glad.

Hello Andrea,

The Aruba Tourism Authority can play a major role in the crime situation in Aruba when tourists are the victims.

I contacted the Aruba Tourism Authority because of the facts that I have discovered regarding the burglaries that are occurring in Aruba.

All four victims of the burglaries that occurred in my immediate area were all tourists that own homes in Aruba.

All four victims of the burglaries rented cars (The rental cars in Aruba all have stickers and advertisements stating the vehicles to be rentals. The license plate also indicates it is a rental by the letter "V".) The advertising on rental cars in the United States is now illegal because a tourist was targeted and killed in Florida several years ago. There is no valid reason for this advertising to continue in Aruba and have tourists targeted for crime. (The ATA can at least take a stance against this type of rental car advertising.)

I have been in contact with Maritza of the ATA on several occasions and she has agreed to help and I am just awaiting her response.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    i hope that maritza can help.
    It would be a great idea for the ata and law enforcement to put together some type of a task force to discuss and fully understand the concerns and problems.
    Everyone has to work together to pull it off.
    Work is the keyword.....it cannot be swept under the rug.
    Something has to go forward after talking.......there has to be work and action.

i always hated the fact that every rental car has the V on the license plate.
    As you say there is no valid reason to have the V.

thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast