Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home Burglaries in Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    i have seen many questions over the years, but never a weapon question.
    no a us gun permit is only allowed in the usa, and i think those are state issued.
    i look forward to reading the replies and information on where and with whom you can make an inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by yefim8 View Post
    Thanks to all for info.Today i killed my 401k in order to get $$ and buy house in Aruba.Now i got to think it over.Is there a way to get gun permit on island?Do they honor US issued gun permit , which i have?

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    Im not sure what kind of alarm systems they have in aruba but I have one that goes directly to the alarm company and I have a speaker have you on the outside of my home that goes off also and you can hear that sucker a few blocks away. If they don't have that in Aruba, maybe they should consider it.

Thanks to Andrea J.I actually contacted through one of links provided by you before Aruba,s government site.They said no gun permits issued on island period.Just was my reaction to reading all 4 pages of related forum yesterday.Seems like folks much on their own to protect themselves and properties.

Another home robbery

I just found this board by googling aruba home robberies. We too just bought a home in may and on our recent trip in sept our home was robbed while we were at dinner. I've read the older posts and welcome any encouragement & advise. Our home was alarmed, they removed the window as to not set off the window alarm. They did not go into the main rooms where there were motion detectors. They removed our wall safe containing money, passports & my wedding ring. Took police 25 min to responde. We live directly behind the marriott. Went the next day to retrieve the police report, the officer never even wrote up one and he was off for the next two days. While i was at the bank blocking my accounts, i returned home to find a box in my front yard containing our passports. They returned in broad daylight with three people home. I guess that is the only decent thing i can say about this whole story. How do we get over being afraid? We have not told anyone here back home. If our passports were not returned we were told that we would have to fly to curacao to get new ones to return home. We rent our home, how do we protect our renters from this? We did amp up our alarm and put motion detecters in all rooms. We are just beside ourselves and don't know how to handle this.

Aruba since 1979

your home break in

welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    sorry to hear of your house break in

you may want to get in touch with your neighbors on island, start a neighborhood watch program, ask the police for a neighborhood meeting for suggestions and advice.

since you are an owner and rent out your home, do you have a home management co. that might also be able to guide you in any concerns you have re: your renters ?

if you are unhappy with the police response time, and the actions of the police, this is not the place to get that fixed. we can listen and commiserate, but you need to speak again over and over to the the police.

see if you can go to the appropriate police personnel....start at the mid line of rank at the police dept....maybe approaching the police as a group of concerned neighbors being proactive might bring some desired results?

who returned your passports?

sorry that it was a home break in that brought you to the forum.
    i wish you had come on happier circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ALANOZZIE View Post
    I just found this board by googling aruba home robberies. We too just bought a home in may and on our recent trip in sept our home was robbed while we were at dinner. I've read the older posts and welcome any encouragement & advise. Our home was alarmed, they removed the window as to not set off the window alarm. They did not go into the main rooms where there were motion detectors. They removed our wall safe containing money, passports & my wedding ring. Took police 25 min to responde. We live directly behind the marriott. Went the next day to retrieve the police report, the officer never even wrote up one and he was off for the next two days. While i was at the bank blocking my accounts, i returned home to find a box in my front yard containing our passports. They returned in broad daylight with three people home. I guess that is the only decent thing i can say about this whole story. How do we get over being afraid? We have not told anyone here back home. If our passports were not returned we were told that we would have to fly to curacao to get new ones to return home. We rent our home, how do we protect our renters from this? We did amp up our alarm and put motion detecters in all rooms. We are just beside ourselves and don't know how to handle this.

I like the riptide side of the island and the natural coastline.
    I see this is an old thread but still an active topic. I'm just sad at the moment. My home in Casibari was broken into again a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to Integrated Security Systems, the potential thieves were unable to enter. They did do extensive damage, however, causing me to have a new back door and new bedroom window installed. I guess the good news is, this is ONLY my second break in over the last 8 years. I'm now considering the Retraco window coverings. Does anyone have them on their home now? I tried the website but couldn't really pull off any info. Thank you!
    Last edited by kjargaard; 12-23-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Did you have those security shutters? What stopped them? I know it's important to have security cameras because that is the only way the police can arrest someone because you have 'proof'. I just hated getting calls from our neighhor's off island security companies. We always had to go into the house and look around and then call them back. I would be by my gate while my hubby went into the house. I was always scared for him in case he did run into people. Looking back - don't know if I would do that again!

I like the riptide side of the island and the natural coastline.
    No, we have no security shutters but the potential thieves set off our alarm when they broke out the window. The curtains moved and that set off the motion sensor, thus setting off the alarm - both audible and at the security office. I have good neighbors, and the security company patrols my neighborhood. Everyone responded immediately. My home was the third one broken into, all in a row that morning. I must have been the third one and possibly the only one with an alarm! Yes, it's scary going in because you just aren't sure. Still looking for info about those shutters!!

If you follow my suggestions that I posted in 2009 in this thread, (layers of protection) your chances of your home being burglarized will be drastically reduced. I have had no issues since 2009. The most important part of the security system, in my opinion, is to have perimeter seniors that will activate the alarm BEFORE the bad guys have the chance to damage your home by breaking a window or door.

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    , in my opinion, is to have perimeter seniors that will activate the alarm BEFORE the bad guys have the chance to damage your home by breaking a window or door.
    Hahaha...David ...couldn't resist this one. Perimeter Seniors??? Are these folks you hire from the local seniors home and strategically place them around your garden like those garden gnomes?? Do you give each one a whistle and a little bell to ring.

Sorry my sick sense of humor kicked in this morning

John

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast