Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home swaps: a good idea?

Question Home swaps: a good idea?

Hi! I am selling 2 new properties in Spain and I can not move as I have planned until I sell at least one of them.
    Would it be possible to swap my property in Spain (a beach condo by the way) for a similar one in Aruba?
    I believe there are Europeans, apart from northamericans, living in Aruba, so there might be a chance they want to get a beach home in a closer region, right?

Anyway, just a thought, I'd like to hear what you guys think about it. Has it been done before? Do you know of anyone interested?
    Last edited by fromspain; 02-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    i think it is an idea and i hope tat you have plenty of responses and suggestions.
    welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Where are your properties in Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by hstvns View Post
    Where are your properties in Spain?
    I'm sorry, I had not seen this message until now.

Our property is in Benidorm, Alicante, Spain.
    More info about the city of Benidorm in Alicante can be seen here:

www.benidorm.com

and here you can see my beach condo, come on in! :
    www.condospain.com

It is a touristic city with great houses and skycrapers right next to 3 long beaches. It has many waterparks, theme parks, shopping malls, theater, cinemas, zoos, etc. It is sorrounded by quite a few mountains too, specially mountain chaine Sierra Cortina. It is a very nice holiday place , just like Aruba.

Yet we do get to know what winter is
    Last edited by fromspain; 02-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.

What a beautiful condo. i spent many years, 30 to be exact vacationng in Spain. Always stayed in the Carihuela area of Torremolinos. Many, many great memeories. And then came the Euro... I have to admit that I like Spain even better than Aruba (don't tell anyone)!!!!!

Smile Glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by hstvns View Post
    What a beautiful condo. i spent many years, 30 to be exact vacationng in Spain. Always stayed in the Carihuela area of Torremolinos. Many, many great memeories. And then came the Euro... I have to admit that I like Spain even better than Aruba (don't tell anyone)!!!!!
    hush,hush, I'll keep the secret.
    Yes, it's nice here in Spain, I can't deny it but without entering in details it is still too European for me, everything must be done by yesterday and people rush too much, like in most US cities too, I guess.
    yet Benidorm is beach touristic laid-back city but not like the Caribbean anyway. I miss that other part of the world..where I spent childhood and youth, where life is taken less seriously and less "in a hurry"

Thanks for the compliments on my condo, it is for sale too ,you know, not just for swapping

note: I still do not receive email notifications from this forum

Hi there.
    I have been following your quest to come to Aruba for a while and was honored to have you contact me personally and ask questions directly. Thank you for that. I would like to make an observation. Benidorm is a great place as is Barcelona. I have visited both while on business and Barcelona afterwards for vacation. Where you live offers a multitude of possibilities and opportunities for the well rounded growth of a child. True, it is a faster pace and things are different on a smaller island, however there are so many limitations as well.

You have to truly be ready to live on an island and to consider all aspects of the island as your home and to adapt to those local aspects of life. It can be a bit tougher than it might seem.

I will look for the names of people who have moved here an (with your permission) give them the way to contact you. Perhaps a discussion with those persons might be of help to you.

Let me know

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Smile Glad to have you here

Caribbean-tattler, thank you very much for the follow up. I'm overwhelmed by the wonderful people in this forum trying to help. It just ensures me I've come to the right place.

I understand very well what you mean, of course living in an island has its pros and cons, and we have evalutated all sides. In any case, we're not planning to move in a hurry and settle for good, we will try for a few months and see if we adapt well to the island and if it is indeed what we look for.

You see, it's not like I'm going to face a totally unknown and different way of life. I was born in an island in the Caribbean, not in Spain, so for me it's a way of being closer home and not the other way around. For my husband is different of course, but he's willing to try.

We do not care about fancy stores, super mega huge shopping centers with all you can dream of within reach, having all brands to chose from, etc. What I am truly concerned about is having access to proper health care, education and safety. And if I get in touch with any of the people you can recommend me, all my questions will basically have to do with those issues.

Maybe you can comment a bit on the topics I'm concerned about. Your observations and comments will be very helpful . You know both Aruba and Spain so you have a solid background to make a comparison or give me an idea on what to expect in terms of healthcare, education and safety.
    Last edited by fromspain; 02-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I am Scandinavian and have lived in Spain. I now spend around my time in Aruba, so got a good chance to compare.
    Just a few pointer to your post in this thread.
    There are many Europeans here, but almost all of the are Dutch. If they want to leave the paradise here, they will almost always move back to NL if they go to Europe again. Actually think there is a better chance to find an American that want to try Europe for a while but again, anyplace is hard after Aruba.
    To be realistic: Your chances of finding someone to swap with you is not your best bet. To find someone who have something you like who also like what you have and are in the point of leaving Aruba to go to Southern Europe...... Your chances might be better playing the lottery and then you can keep all the properties if you win.
    Better to just sell in Spain for whatever you can get. In general you have to accept a lower price level now that when the property bubble was at its highest.
    This will give you the freedom to choose between all the properties for sale in Aruba.
    Bad news is that the lower prices in Spain have not been reflected in the same discount in Aruba. However if you know where to look there are good deals here (especially foreigners that need to sell due to problems back home like Americans and few Europeans).
    Prices here are doing pretty well and even rising in the best areas, mainly due to the fact that the economies in South America are extremely strong with a brand new rich middle class and upper class looking for a safe nice place.
    So my advice is just sell, don't hold out for the former fantasy prices and get you dream moving forward.
    Spain's health care is at a very high level Internationally and all specialties are covered. Aruba is a small Island that cannot cover all specialties, but the overall standard is very high and should keep you sleeping calmly at night .
    Education could be a concern. Your kids either have to go to a public school (Dutch language) which is no problem if they are very young. Other option is private school (English) which is expensive, but would be my preference if the kids were a bit older. Dont compare the level to be completely up to par with Spain (at least not in a big city in Spain), again this is a very small country.
    But your kids will have a childhood that almost any kid can only dream of .
    The beach and the ocean and everything related to it is a perfect playground.
    Besides the people, the weather, the ocean and the beaches, Safety is one of the main attractions in Aruba. This is way safer than almost any place in modern Spain.
    But even here there is a big variation depending one where you are on the Island, but in general it is extremely safe here.
    Compared to Benidorm and Costa del Sol, crime is almost non-existent here.
    Price of living in general here is a bit lower than in Spain but not much difference.
    Pace of life is very different like you say. Here it is like it was in Spain 25 years ago.
    So I would say that you should focus on three areas. 1. Sell your property outright. 2. Decide if the education system here fits your kids. 3. Make sure that you will be able to get residency and work permits here.
    The last one is harder than you think for most people.
    Even though Aruba has a special status with the EU and EU sends a lot of money this way, it does NOT mean that you can just more here like you can to other EU countries. These rules are very strict. The present government is easing them up a bit, but still very hard.
    I love Spain, but compared to Aruba there is no competition. Spain is great, Aruba is Paradise .

Good luck

Carsten

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast