Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to bring a car to aruba

Linda,

The local guys at Land Sea Air will receive your car and call you to come get it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, get your paperwork from Land Sea Air, then go get the insurance and the registration. THEN drive the car.

My truck was here on the road only three days before a guy hit it. Luckily I had followed all the procedures properly.

So, get here a few days ahead. Keep things going smoothly.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Can I do the paperwork (with title in hand) before the car is physically in Aruba?

Linda,

Typically not. They want to see the original.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Sounds easier just to buy a small car there no?

There are several companies on the island that you can pay that will do the leg work to assist with residency. There are alot of requirements and documents needed and the process will cost you approx. 1100.00 dollars 1st yr. and you have to renew yearly for approx. 100. After ten years of renewal you will not have to renew and have permant residency. They do require that you show enough income / have min. $$ in bank accounts from outside aruba and some of the money from the 1100 is held in escrow account in your name and will be used for flight and other costs if you are deported from island. After the ten years you will get some of this money back. One of the good things about residency is that you can ship one time only one car, sport vessel, household belongings duty free as long as they are 6 months old.

We considered shipping a car but with the shippings costs, customs duty, and hassle, we decided to buy one on the island. We looked for quite a while and bought a 2005 jeep wrangler 2 weeks ago for a very reasonable price - $3000 less than Kelly Blue Book value here - BUT it took alot of looking.Insurance, registration was no problem.

Mark 68
    Good information thank you, I always here about the cost of residancy to process, but not specific, is the 1100 and 100 per person or married couple

The price for the 1st yr is 1600 florin($900) and then if you use an agency to help the costs are anywhere from 300 to 1000 depending on who you use. (be careful some people are promising permits and ripping people off) I know of two reputable companies who can assist if interested pm me. The prices are per a person and there are some benfits to file at different times if married. The paperwork you will need is a copy of your passport and all pages, 3 passport size pictures, Full and stamped copy of birth certificate and marriage certificate with state apostle attached to each, good record with notary and state apostle (from local police or from cori), copy of bank accounts& bank letter, proof of income, copy of land/home ownership from notary in aruba, letter stating you have health insurance. The process will take approx. 3 to 6 months and you will have to spend several hours at the government building (demas? located next to the Talk of Town) and go for a medical test.

Banned
    Does anyone have recent experience w/shipping a vehicle to Aruba? Can anyone recommend a company from experience?

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=966350

click above link
    for a bunch of threads that have info about bringing cars/vehicles to aruba.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast