Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Import Duties

Banned
    If I order something from the US, for which import duties have to be paid, and let a shipper deliver it to me, how do I handle the import duties ? Will customs call me when the package arrives at the airport or do I have to take any action myself first ? Any experiences here ?

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I use ARUSA, I pay us$25 per year for membership. This gives you an address in Florida. Order whatever online in the US and give your Florida address (lot of things are delivered within the US for free).
    ARUSA then ships it to Aruba and pays duties in Aruba.
    You then go to their office in Dakota (in the street where Pricesmart is), and pay the duties + a fee for S+H and you will get your stuff.
    I think they can also deliver to your address, but not sure how that works.
    I am so far very happy with them.
    You can find them here http://www.arusamailbox.biz/arusa.html

Good luck

Carsten

I had Arusa - changed to QF

They don't charge a membership fee, they will email and text message you about your shipment when it 1) arrives in Miami, 2) is in transit 3) hits customs and 4) when it ready and the cost.

Their mail service is good and very affordable. They don't close of lunch (a biggie) and are way more organized and professional than the other company.

They are located off the Texaco circle down town which is closer for us.

Not affiliated with them - but just happy I found some place that makes shipping stuff here less of a hassle!!!

http://www.qfglobalnetwork.com/

Banned
    Yes, I know about QF and will most probably be using their services at some point. However, I currently ordered something that will be shipped directly from the retailer to my house here on Aruba and was wondering how to handle the taxes ...

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

I have had stuff sent directly as well.
    The post office here will send you a note that you got a package.
    You then go there (main post office downtown) to pay the tax and handling fee.
    Quick and easy.
    (This is how it was for me at least. I got an underwater metal detector in the mail last year).

Carsten

The post office is closed for lunch from 12 - 1:30. They always close a little early and arrive a little late. Also do not "assume" that because it is not a "national" holiday they will be open. For example, they were closed the Friday after assention day. Just a little "we are closed" note on the window. Even
    the locals go there and find out they are closed!!!

Also they are only open Mon - Fri. For packages go the the window next to where you would pick up your Dimas papers. For those who don't know that window - the package window is 2 windows down from Western Union.

Banned
    Thanks for the help guys !

Ok well just back from the island. No internet at the house yet by choice.
    From my last post thought maybe I had gofed up by sendind the stuff I did.
    As it turns out the cheapest 26 inch mens bike was 459 florins. it was a huffy mine a Next, But same forks and design this was at Certified 262 dollars I belive mine cost with all shipping and taxes was I belive was 140 Dollars.

Ok as I have said I use Bon Bini for better or worst. As Curly Laura pointed out watch the Paper work. I typically pay my ship[ping fees while I am in the States this time I just figured I would pay it in Aruba.
    Well when looking over the freight charges they had them listed in Dollars but then did the conversion to Florins at the rate of 1.82 to the dollar. Not the typical 1.75. I insisted that they take mydollars for the freight portion which they did and saved approx 30 USD's.
    Then there is approx 73 Florins in Aruba Documentation Charges. For what I don't know. Then 1 tittled Sundries I was told this was for copies for Customs.
    Then on the list is the import duties. As I have said in the past you are at the mercy of the customs agent. Even with documentation from the various stores that I purchased from customs added there own prices to items.
    The bikes they valued at 185 dollars each taxed them at 12%.

Bon Bini will hold your items up to 30 days not sure if this is in Miami or Aruba for free. Sometimes it takes upto 2 weeks for all of my shippent be delivered from the various stores, I have like Wal Mart deliveer it to Bon Bini in my name and they put it in storage until they receive my complete order and Idena from Bon Bini keeps me informed when Items arrive in my name and then When the order is complete i just tell her to send it on the next boat.

My order date was June 18th and I paid my bill on the 29th of June.
    But was not able to take delivery until the 30th because there was no customs person on site. I don't understand the customs person being there when i took delivery since I already had all of the customms paperwork and paid the duty.
    But she was there and did have a conversation with me in general about the shippment. Took delivery loaded onto my truck and took it home,
    WOOO
    Hope this helps. As I have said in the past ask question and persue your thoughts as you may get what you want or save yourself a couple of dollars
    Let the Carnival Begin
    Mr Norman Paperman

Sorry I posted that my order date was 6/18 that was what was my Bon Bini Sheet from Arubabut it apears that the tax man filled out papers on the 12th of June and the 1st indictation of my order was on May 27th. My Bill of LAden from Bon Bini Miami was created on 6/6. So I would say it was shortly after that that it was shipped.
    Let the Carnival Begin
    Mr Norman Paperman

Import Duties

This is a "guide" provided to me from QF in Aruba as a guide to import
    duties charged.

Auto parts 22.0 %
    Bedspreads, quilt 22.0 %
    Books 0.0 %
    Cameras 12.0 %
    Candles 12.0 %
    Cellphones 12.0 %
    Clothing 6.0 %
    Cosmetics 3.0 %
    Digital cameras 6.0 %
    DVD's 12.0 %
    Electronics 12.0 %
    Furniture, cabinets 22.0 %
    Household articles (wooden) 12.0 %
    Inflatable pool 12.0 % Jewels 12.0 %
    Leather articles 12.0 %
    Lingerie 6.0 %
    Magazines 6.0 %
    Music cd's 12.0 %
    Paint 6.0 %
    Party supplies 22.0 %
    Perfume 3.0 %
    Polish 12.0 %
    Porcelain 6.0 %
    Shoes 6.0 %
    Soap 6.0 %
    Spoons, forks 6.0 %
    Supplements 6.0 %
    Table cloths 12.0 %
    Tires 22.0 %
    Toiletries 3.0 %
    Tools 12.0 %
    Toys 6.0 %
    Umbrella's 22.0 %
    Vitamin 6.0 %
    Watches 3.0 %

Disclaimer: The information is intended as a guide on not as a complete or definitive source.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-09-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: easier reading
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast