Aruba Beach

Thread: Insurance Agent- Homeowners Insurance

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!

Insurance Agent- Homeowners Insurance

Hi Gang,

Long time lurker, rare poster.

I own a home in Aruba (as well as a timeshare at CDM) and am in dire need of a recommended insurance agent. I currently have home insurance through RSA but I don't believe I have adequate replacement coverage if the place were to burn down for example. Here in the states replacement coverage is standard and can be opted into, it seems like Aruba's home insurance coverage is based on appraisals. f you had an idiot appraiser like I did, you’re hosed. We all know what a home is worth or would sell for may be vastly different from what it would take to rebuild the home. To that end, I'm looking for a good agent that has an appraiser at their disposal to walk through the property and turn around a quote fairly quickly. I know fairly quickly and Aruba in same sentence don't go together, but if anyone can give me direction and a contact, I would be forever grateful

Aruba since 1979
    a few of our forum members are taxidriver photosbyjulia jojo cyrilo croes tom and stanley aquaman and cheryl
    (to name a few)

private message all of these folks and ask for insurance info.

tom and stanley aquaman are not year round residents

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!
    Thanks Andrea. I have emailed Liz and Aquaman but so far, no luck. I need a Ins agrent people trust. I recognize I can 'cold" call the major insurance companies in Aruba; but what I'm looking for is an agent that is knowlegeable and has a sense of urgency; not a common trait here.

American Home Insurance is a large company on the island. I deal with them direct and do not use a sub-agent. The main office is located next to Certified Mall and delifrance. It is located on the main road and almost directly behind the Promenade. They seem to have a decent policy and offer extra like liability insurance if you rent your property. Just my opinion I would not use them for m/v insurance and I use Magico.

Thanks Mark. I was actually able to hook up with an agent from Boogaard this morning and he's sending an inspector to the house tomorrow so he can send a formal quote. My biggest concern is that I have adequate replacement cost coverage. Unfortunately in Aruba, insurance is based on appraisals. What a house appraises at and what it can be rebuilt for are two entirely different numbers and there can be a vast delta between them. Here in the states, replacement cost insurance is fairly common; if your policy says it's total replacement, they will replace it for whatever it costs. In Aruba, it's whatever you're insured for and not a penny more. <sigh>

This guy I spoke to seemed to grasp that, unlike my current insurance agent. I believe I will have the proper coverage through them. If anyone wants his name, PM me.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Leaving for Paradise Tuesday!!!!