Aruba Beach
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jacki
  • 1 Post By MissArizona
  • 1 Post By WaltVB
  • 1 Post By MissArizona

Thread: interested in relocating to Aruba from Arizona

interested in relocating to Aruba from Arizona

Hello, my name is Anissa! I currently live in the state of Arizona. Although I have enjoyed my time here in Arizona I'm ready to leave. I won't be jumping into such a move as this hastly as I haven't even been to the island for a visit yet; current I am properly planning a trip in the near future. There are a few things that I can't seem to get around when it relates to being allowed to stay on the island and one thing for sure is how can I purchase my dream home and live in it if I won't be allowed to work on the island? Also, currently I'm working on my Masters Degree in Information technology is that a profitable career on the island? Please help any information is greatly appreciated!!!
    Last edited by MissArizona; 09-15-2015 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Sorry auto spell messed up the word Aruba in my title

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i encourage you to speak to the Department of Immigration (DIMAS)

I encourage you to read more in the "moving to aruba" category.

Aruba has immigration laws. Like most countries. One is allowed to visit for X amount of time.

Residencey and work permits are not easy to come by.

I encourage you to visit before you even consider residency, home ownership and a career in Aruba.

What made you think that you'd like to live there?
    Quote Originally Posted by MissArizona View Post
    Hello, my name is Anissa! I currently live in the state of Arizona. Although I have enjoyed my time here in Arizona I'm ready to leave. I won't be jumping into such a move as this hastly as I haven't even been to the island for a visit yet; current I am properly planning a trip in the near future. There are a few things that I can't seem to get around when it relates to being allowed to stay on the island and one thing for sure is how can I purchase my dream home and live in it if I won't be allowed to work on the island? Also, currently I'm working on my Masters Degree in Information technology is that a profitable career on the island? Please help any information is greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the forum. You need to do a lot of research before committing to a move like you're thinking of. I suggest you visit the island several times at different times to get a good feel for it. After our first couple of visits we were ready to pack up and move there. But as we visit and learn more it doesn't really seem like a good permanent fit for us. We will continue to visit and love the island and the people, but there are a lot of things to consider when moving there you can't imagine. Are you a US citizen? As Andrea said things seem to be especially tough on Americans with respect to residency and work permits. On the other hand, IT is a growing industry there and everywhere else. Perhaps you could get there by working for one of the large US resorts on the island. It will also help to speak English, Spanish and Dutch. Papiamento can wait Good luck and please keep us posted!

Good morning all the way from Arizona!! Thank you for the helpful information you'd provided. I have been researching all those aspects and more day after day and yet I get more and more assertive about my decision to relocate. I agree with you a visit is in order before I truly start implementing my 5 year plan, which I am planning sometime early next year when more vacation time is available for me. some key aspects about Aruba that I found interesting is the seminary which in some areas doesn't differ much from the desert terrain, the warm (well scorching hot in Arizona) climate and laid back peacefulness I enjoy about Arizona.
    Also I am in quest for a location where starting over as a single woman would be a lot different from the trials of being a single mother, it has to get better. After the loss of my husband almost two years ago, raising 3 children alone things haven't been very easy. My youngest child will be an adult in 5 years and off to college and I'll be in my mid 40's. I'm looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life it's long overdue.

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Anissa!

I suggest an extended visit leaving yourself lots of time to get in to speak with someone at DIMAS to help you in your decision making

Good luck to you!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

WaltVB thanks for the input I understand there's gonna be some challenges and I'll have plenty of time within my 5 year plan to visit multiple times and sort things out. I'm definitely exploring US companies where my profession might award me the opportunity to work there but English is the only language I know (I had better learn Spanish and Dutch huh). I'll be sure to keep you posted!!

Well, the truth is you can get by quite well with just English, but I would think Spanish as a second language would be a great help. As far as learning Dutch, hang out at Moomba when you are on the island, most of the bartenders and servers are from Holland. As friendly as they all are, I'm sure they would help with Dutch. Hang out here on the forum and you will learn much. I'm sorry for your loss.

Oh my I'm so grateful that I've even stumbled across this website. Please do continue to help me by sharing whatever might help me learn more. I gave myself 5 years to hash everything out and get myself settled in. Thanks for your sympathy WaltVB on the loss of my husband. It's been tough but I'm faithful in knowing that my latter will be greater love awaits me again someday somewhere!! I'm looking forward to visiting moomba's.
    Thanks Jacki!!!