Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: just moved to aruba and i really need help !

just moved to aruba and i really need help !

i just moved to aruba last week to attend school here and just bought a car, everything seems fine and i registered it but they asked me to get it insured. however when i went to the insurance office they asked me for my census form and my permit (im guessing the lady means driving permit..right?)
    where is the census office ? and do i have to get insurance to get my plates ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Aruba since 1979
    have you spoken with the DIMAS office?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mess View Post
    i just moved to aruba last week to attend school here and just bought a car, everything seems fine and i registered it but they asked me to get it insured. however when i went to the insurance office they asked me for my census form and my permit (im guessing the lady means driving permit..right?)
    where is the census office ? and do i have to get insurance to get my plates ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

whats the DIMAS office ? the only office i spoken to was the yellow building where you register the car and the small insurance office right beside it...this all happened this morning, so im still trying to find where to go to next.

im from canada and all this is very new to me

Aruba since 1979
    Department of Immigration Aruba

I do not know its address.
    I will get back to you

Aruba since 1979
    Departamento di Integracion, Maneho y Admision di Stranhero (DIMAS),
    Wilhelminastraat 31-33
    Oranjestad, Aruba.

www.dimasaruba.com

well the school will handle my immigration papers..but i think i will stop by and talk to them...thanks a lot for your help andrea

Aruba since 1979
    i am not sure dimas is the way to go, but it is a start.

when you go to school on monday, ask if they will handle it all, what the heck, worse they can say is no.

if you wind up going to dimas bring an aruban person with you......friend, student, teacher....someone who can translate if necessary and who can vouch for you.

also bring any/all immigration/passport/visa/school documentation with you.

please keep us posted.
    it is a mystery.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mess View Post
    well the school will handle my immigration papers..but i think i will stop by and talk to them...thanks a lot for your help andrea

Hi dr.mess, you have to be registered at the census. You have to go to the tax office so they will give you a social security number to register your car, at the same tax office you can pay for your license plate but you will not receive the plate until you show them your valid car insurance and when you finish you have to bring your car to inspection.

I am a little confused at the questions about a permit. I registered a car in Aruba before I was a resident. I also know people who own cars who are not residents. The first step is to get a personal number from the tax office across from the airport. This is the same office where you pay for your plates. You get the personal number on the right side. After you have your personal number, you go to the left side and pay for the plates. When you pick up the plates, you need to show proof of insurance. Not sure why the insurance company is sending you to the census office. I have never heard of anyone needing a paper from the census office to register a car. If this is a new procedure, it is new this year. My neighbors on both sides are not residents and have no problem registering their cars each year.

Kathy

Aruba since 1979
    i "knew" DIMAS was not the place to go, but figured it might be a start.

yippe bully and kathy thanks for the guidance re: this matter for dr mess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast