Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new home

Aruba since 1979
    putting one's email addy on a post is not advised.
    putting one's phone number is strongly not advised.

Alto Vista Chapel Moomba Beach Ranchos Notorious

Starting a business in Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    VANILLA, I travel back and forth to the island and boston monthly and spend about 4-5 months total on the island. I will tell you that you should rent a house for a month or so to see if you like it. I had a house built approx 5 years ago and own a business on the island. I travel back and forth because my wife and 9 year old did not want to make the permanent move. My wife and I obtained residency on the island but will not make permanent util year ten and have to renew yearly. The process is time consuming and involves, apostle b/cert.,marriage, good record, proof you have enough income and savings, leaving money in escrow in case they want to deport you at your expense, and other stuff. You will also spend a week at doctors office, hospital and blod work before they accept you as resident. Even with all this which will take 4 months using a company you can still not work on the island unless someone sponsors you for work or have dutch passport/residency paperwork filed in aruba. Although I do not contribute alot to this forum I read it almost daily and gained some good info. If you have any questions or anyone has questions that I may be abe to help send me a pm and I will try my best give you my e-mail. I have also sent containers and vehicle duty free in the past and kind of no what the process entails. hope this helps and do not want to discourage you just want you to know there is alot of red tape/// also Aruba is expensive compared to back home(shipping) utilities on the island (water/electric) are double compared to my bills back home
    My boyfriend and I just got back and are thinking of starting a business and just don't know where to begin. I need all the information you can give us. We are also located in Massachusetts/Worcester area. I have a 3 yr old and don't want to become an official "Aruban citizen" yet. My BF is Jamaican and is a Jamaican citizen w/a US greencard. He wants to start a "tour business" w/just one truck to start. Got the idea from taking a tour w/ABC, the jeep safari company and talked to the tour guide and alot of others on the island. We really want to do this! Can you help w/info?

Looking for information to start a business in Aruba

Hi Mark68,

Just got back from Aruba on 9/10/10. My 4th visit my fiance's first. OK now I opened a can of worms. He wants to start a business on the island. We also are from Mass/Worcester area about 1hr from Boston.

I also have a 3yr old and am not interested right now in selling my home to do this. I'm gun shy! But am more than interested in doing this as well.

He is a Jamaican citizen w/a US greencard. He is interested in the tour business, just starting w/one truck like the safari jeep's from ABC. We took the 4 wheeler tour and was inspired by the owner's story.

How much seed money should we need, and what's the process to get things started? How long does it take to get the company off the ground? Any info you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I mean we really know that we'll have about a 5yr wait to save enough to do this right.

Sheila

Sheila, to start a business from scratch and to make it legal you have to establish a N.V. (almost like a LLC in states) with an Aruban or permanent resident who will have to hold 60 percent shares and be director of company. Once you have five years residency then you can transfer shares over to you and you can apply for director title. The N.V. has to formed by a Notary which in Aruba is different than the states and costly (several thousand). There are plenty of tour companies on the island and very competitive. I would do more research and you still have five years start saving and I believe the best way for an outsider to get into a business is to buy a established business that already has the licenses etc.. There is alot of red tape and issues with the laws, taxes, pension system, healthcare, permits, banks and other stuff. You can make it happen just do a lot of research. You can send me a pm anytime and I will give you my e-mail next time your family is on the island send me a pm and we can meet. By the way I'm from Westport Mass. and spent my younger days going to concerts at the Centrum

hi Vanilla & Buminthesun welcome to the forum, for all your questions i think Lizzardo & Mark68 will have all the answer for you, and if you want to buy a house in Aruba don't go to a real estate, rent a car and drive around the island and look for the sign "forsale by owner" you will have a better price for a house. good luck.

Bully I will see yhou at the end of week and will e-mail, How is house coming?

tuesday the 14 sep they will come for the electricity inspection.

Mark68

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    Sheila, to start a business from scratch and to make it legal you have to establish a N.V. (almost like a LLC in states) with an Aruban or permanent resident who will have to hold 60 percent shares and be director of company. Once you have five years residency then you can transfer shares over to you and you can apply for director title. The N.V. has to formed by a Notary which in Aruba is different than the states and costly (several thousand). There are plenty of tour companies on the island and very competitive. I would do more research and you still have five years start saving and I believe the best way for an outsider to get into a business is to buy a established business that already has the licenses etc.. There is alot of red tape and issues with the laws, taxes, pension system, healthcare, permits, banks and other stuff. You can make it happen just do a lot of research. You can send me a pm anytime and I will give you my e-mail next time your family is on the island send me a pm and we can meet. By the way I'm from Westport Mass. and spent my younger days going to concerts at the Centrum
    Does sound tricky. I have a little experience w/the LLC helped set one up w/the "permanent resident" in Nevis. They are basically lawyers for a fee they sit on the board on paper. So you do have to become a resident? Buying a business seems so cost prohibited. And who would want to give up a thriving tour business? Wow lot to think about...Weird your from Mass too, I will certainly let you know when we are in town again. Yes the Centrum had alot of good times there in my youth, and still go occasionally just not ear bleeding concerts anymore! My BF, Leighton is his name, one of his 3 jobs is security there. Do you know anything about the restaurant business there? He is a chef by trade...Jamaican food in Aruba? I'll cook the Italian!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12