Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing power due to heavy rains

Banned

Losing power due to heavy rains

I would like to ask everyone if they, or anyone they know, lose power from time to time in their Aruba home due to the heavy rains that the island has experienced over the last 7 months. Our tenant has experienced power loss in certain parts of the house after a heavy rain. After 2-3 days of sunshine, the power returns. Can anyone shed light (no pun intended) on this?

Aruba since 1979
    i am PMming the link to this thread to some of our members that are residents.

Banned
    Thanks Jason...I have an electrician inspecting the residence tomorrow. I just like to get as much info as possible before I talk to the experts.

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    I am pretty sure that Jason is dead on. It is certainly a problem in your house and not with Elmar.
    And very likely in your outside fuse box. If the Electrician cannot find the problem then make sure your tenants call him/her right away next time it happens, since it is pretty hard to find an electrical fault when it is working, if you know what I mean ;-). If it is in the fuse box it is pretty dangerous, if it is in the house after the fuse box it is extremely dangerous.
    Let us know how it goes.

Carsten

Aruba since 1979
    thanks folks for responding!!!

I have not lost power at all during these heavy rains. I have just had my old style fuse box replaced but even with the old one I did not experience shorting problems during rain. This may have been because the fuse box is located in a fairly sheltered area.
    Good luck with your diagnostics.
    Stella

I also have had no problems with my electricity in any of my places due to the rain. It definitely sounds like the rain is wetting your wiring.

Most likely you have a break in your pipe coming from the box outside into your house. Water gets in and shorts out the line. Sun come out, warms up and power comes back. This is a serious problem that needs to be looked into. . . .

Tom and Stanley

It might also be that the rain was getting into your outdoor electrical outlets causing your breaker in the main panel to shut off. If this is the case, just make sure that the outdoor electrical outlets are properly sealed with silicone caulking. I had a similar problem in my home in Aruba and once I caulked around the outlet covers, the problem was solved.

Since you have stated that you are only losing power in certain parts of the house, I believe the problem might just be your outdoor electrical outlets.

The above will only be valid if you have a newer electrical panel with the switch type circuits; not the older glass screw-in fuses.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Banned
    Thanks to everyone for the electrical advice. It was most helpful. Our diagnosis from a reputable Aruba electrician was very simililar, so all your advice was "right on". Because of your help, I can now move ahead w/confidence. It is so difficult getting things done long distance. I'll have all this resolved the first week of April. I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast