Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Moving to Aruba -- What to bring?

Moving to Aruba -- What to bring?

My family and I are being transferred to Aruba for work. We will be shipping a car there but unsure of what kind of car to buy. My question is, what cars are popular and easy to get parts for?
    The same question as for motorcycles. I see George rents Yamahas but are there other motorcycle dealerships in Aruba? We would like to bring a couple small motorcycles as well.
    Any advice on what to bring and what not to bring would be greatly appreciated.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

popular cars………many many hyundais, kias, fords, mazdas and toyotas.

is your employer providing a furnished house?

i can tell you do not bring "winter clothes"

Quote Originally Posted by SilvaThinking View Post
    My family and I are being transferred to Aruba for work. We will be shipping a car there but unsure of what kind of car to buy. My question is, what cars are popular and easy to get parts for?
    The same question as for motorcycles. I see George rents Yamahas but are there other motorcycle dealerships in Aruba? We would like to bring a couple small motorcycles as well.
    Any advice on what to bring and what not to bring would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, we will be renting a furnished house. We will bring along our mittens and fur hats just as reminders.

Welcome to the board. I spend 7 months a year there and last Christmas, I bought me a susuki Burgman 400. Its a great scooter for the Island and its all automatic and will do 100 mph. I really like it. When the traffic gets bad, u just take the middle lane. I believe they rent them out at Georges.
    Are you coming for long term?
    I will be back in June for my 39th trip so Aruba is my second home. Maybe I should start saying its my first home. Any questions, you can PM me.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

We keep a toyota there and find the service quite good.

M&A
    What do you plan to bring besides a car? What about your household stuff? I've been curious for a while about shipping household goods into Aruba in a container (connex). What kind of cost should someone expect to spend to send a container from, lets say from New York? And how does a container shipment work? Is it done by weight or all you can stuff in it? Appreciate any input.

Aruba since 1979
    you may want to message members Luvsun Sugar Tom and Stanley Aquaman Retagger Lizzardo

i think, that all of them shipped stuff to Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by M&A View Post
    What do you plan to bring besides a car? What about your household stuff? I've been curious for a while about shipping household goods into Aruba in a container (connex). What kind of cost should someone expect to spend to send a container from, lets say from New York? And how does a container shipment work? Is it done by weight or all you can stuff in it? Appreciate any input.

When we started going to Aruba at the beginning of this millennium, about 95% of rental cars were Toyotas. That percentage has dropped since but I'd bet they are still in the majority. Of course, you may not want your personal vehicle to look like a rental car...

Currently, I see a good selection of Asian brands (Japanese, Korean) and a smattering of BMWs and Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you may want to message members Luvsun Sugar Tom and Stanley Aquaman Retagger Lizzardo

i think, that all of them shipped stuff to Aruba

I think the decision to ship a container down depends on your own personal situation. Will you be living there full time or just part of the year? Do you own a large home or a small condo etc.?

In our case we own a Villa. We have shopped and purchased furniture and appliances on the Island and found that in most cases the items are a lot more expensive. This time after some analysis we decided to send down a container for our new Villa. We shipped from Toronto. We made the decision not to ship down our car and this allowed us to use a 20' container. Had we shipped the car we would have needed to ship down a 40' container. Our plan was to decorate and furnish the Villa from scratch. Prior to deciding to ship, we were on the island and researched the cost to furnish by visiting various stores and also taking into account the costs of furnishing our other Villa. We estimated that even with shipping costs and duty we would save in the vicinity of 30%+ over purchasing locally. The process of shipping does require some careful planning. Here is an account of our shipping experience (2014)

The first step was to identify a CREDIBLE shipper. Really check into this. There are some bad actors in this business. Our criteria included a firm that had prior experience with shipping personal effects to Aruba and who had an established representative in Aruba to handle the off loading, customs clearance and transportation and unloading at the house. We chose an International firm even though the costs were a little higher. We paid a small $500 deposit and the firm sent an estimator to our house. This person took several hours and prepared an itemized list of the goods to ship. After he had inventoried the house he sat with us and gave us a detailed verbal report on what items needed crating or just wrapping. 2 days later we received a written recommendation and quote/contract that identified the shipping line that would take the container, the route that would be taken and the length of time the container would take to arrive into Oranjestad.

After accepting the arrangements we were then advised of available packing dates. On the selected date the crew showed up at our home with the container. They wrapped and packed every item identified as needed in Aruba.....including beds, sofas, club chairs, electronics, kitchen and so on. We found it very interesting the way they packed/wrapped. Upon asking them about this method of packing we were told that due to shipping overseas and the handling of a container that a different form of packing was needed to prevent breakage.

The container was then trucked to a rail yard and transported by rail to the East Coast and loaded onto a container ship from Hapag Lloyd. We were kept informed of the progress, the name of the ship and its route.

Whether to ship a container or not really depends on your circumstance. If you are seeking permanent residence or a permanent resident, Aruba allows a ONE TIME Duty exemption on used household items that you have owned for 6 months and used. If you are not entitled to the exemption, there is a schedule of tariffs that Aruba Customs may charge. It ranges from 6--22% depending on the item. (Don't take an umbrella...22% duty LOL)

At the Aruba end you must have an agent to handle the paperwork. I have heard that containers that are professionally packed by a shipping company generally get cleared a lot easier than ones that are privately packed. I understand that these get extra attention for drugs.

The costs associated with this adventure were $7500Cdn for the 20' and all services including the Aruba end. Had we taken 40' with car the costs increased to $9600

Expect some charges in Aruba...customs inspection, storage etc.

Hope this answers your question. If you need the Aruban tariff schedule, PM me

Aquaman

Aruba since 1979
    John/AQUAMAN - thanks so much for your very detailed experiences for forum member M&A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast