Aruba Beach

Thread: need help with problem on house,cement cracks in walls

need help with problem on house,cement cracks in walls

Hello to all in Aruba! I recently purchased a townhouse in Aruba (2 years ago) and am having a lot of problems with cracks in the cement walls in which water is coming through. Can anyone give me some advice for this and is this a common problem due to the heat? Any tips to prevent this or fix it would br greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Did you buy it new or is it in a 'development'? This is not a sign of good workmanship on your house. I don't think it's a 'common' problem in Aruba. PM me and I can tell you of some good workmen I have used in the past. It's good to get a recommendation of a repairman/construction person who people have used in the past. I would not
    use anyone unless I knew of someone who had used them before.

It is in a developement and hopefully the builders will fix it,but I know how that goes and I need to be able to take care of it when I get back to prevent other issues. I would appreciate recommendations.

If it is a hairline crack all the way thru the wall (from top to bottom). It is due to the foundation settlement. While constructing the footings, the subbase-usually "stone", larger than the gravel, don't know what grade they use, ex. CA6 or CA7- shall be compacted evenly. If not, after a while, the foundation will settle unevenly. That will cause the hairline crack on the wall. You shall monitor it closely. Usually it takes one to two years to happen. If it continues to develop larger than the hairline, it will be a big problem.

It happened to my basement wall. The builder used something called "Epoxy" injected thru the gap. It stopped water seepage. It looks like dark gary cenment on the finished surface. You can google basement water leak, maybe epoxy and see what it comes up. Hope it helps.

These are usually settlement or tremor cracks. Aruba, unbeknown to many, has many small earthquake tremors and this often causes the kind of cracking you describe. The settlement is basically die to how they did your foundation or how they tied the walls together, If it is in a development then I think I know the one it is and can say that you are not the only one with the problem.

STEP # 1 Talk to the man who sold you the property

All other steps depend on STEP # 1

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles